Practicing while disabled!

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Principaltrumpet, Jul 11, 2008.

1. Principaltrumpet

Principaltrumpet Pianissimo User

Nov 7, 2006
    north texas
    HELP!!!!!!
    I am in AZ with my army band and yesterday i broke my middle finger on my right hand. Do I have to go 4 weeks without practice? Is practicing with my left hand going to be very efficient? Someone help i dont wanna go 4 weeks without playing.
    JR

2. MJ

MJ Administrator Staff Member

Jan 30, 2006
    Naptown
    No

No

Use your imagination man. Just blow through the thing and do the best you can. Maybe play left handed. Play some Clarke studies left handed.

Try playing with your bad hand. You can keep your chops up.

3. veery715

veery715 Utimate User

Mar 6, 2007
    Ithaca NY
    Playing with your left hand is purported to be a very good exercise which will improve the right hand even though you are not using it. The brain apparently has parallel paths of communication to your hands. Try doing piano-style finger exercises on your desk. You should find that it is easiest when the corresponding fingers on each hand operate at the same time. In more than one trumpet method have I seen it recommended to switch hands.

4. oldenick

oldenick Pianissimo User

Apr 10, 2007
    CT
    You can play left handed. I was playing in a clown band :oops: when I did something really stupid (like playing in a clown band) and sprained my right wrist. I did a week of shows left handed. Not a lot of fun but better than not getting paid for a week.

5. stchasking

stchasking Forte User

Jun 11, 2006
    Do you get a medal for that?

Practice out of Chas Colin Advanced Lip Flexibilities
    or
    Keith Johnson's High Register book.

I provided information on the Keith Johnson book else where on the site.

6. Principaltrumpet

Principaltrumpet Pianissimo User

Nov 7, 2006
    north texas
    one more question, does anyone have experience with this? I know a violinist that broke her arm and never fully regained her playing ability. Ended up leaving the symphony she was with. Could I have a problem with the range of motion in my finger and lose some of my finger speed?
    JR

7. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    I recently went through what is known as "Mallet Finger" on my right hand, and was able to adapt. The trumpet was a lot easier than the computer keyboard to use, however. I put some tape on the the outside of the splint to give it a bit of friction and was able to play.

Please post some photos of your finger/medal!

8. stchasking

stchasking Forte User

Jun 11, 2006
    Just one week ago I crushed my third valve finger. It hurt so bad I almost went into shock. I heard a crack when it happened and thought I broke it. My beta blockers kept me from going into a high pulse rate. Within 60 seconds I had my hand in ice cold water and kept it there until I couldn't feel anything. I took my hand out of the ice water after 2.5 hours.
    I was able to play three days later.

For you, it is too late for ice. But for everybody else you have to get ice on the finger/hand very quickly and keep it there. Now you are in the heat cycle.

Get some Icyhot on the finger and take aspirin every day. Get the circulation going.
    If you don't have pins or stitches flex the joints with your other hand. It is the joints that you need to exercise. Soak your hand in warm as you can stand water.
    If you damaged a joint I have no idea what to do.

Tell us how you did it and post pictures so we can be entertained.

9. Matt o-iii<O

Matt o-iii<O Pianissimo User

Dec 25, 2007
    Melbourne, Australia
    Hey.
    I broke that same finger a few years ago, I wasn't as obsessed with the horn as I am now...
    I played left handed for six weeks and had no trouble going back to the right hand once I recovered.

Good luck, I wish you a speedy recovery.

Matt o-iii<O