Practicing while on a business trip

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by gbdeamer, Feb 17, 2010.

1. gbdeamer

gbdeamer Forte User

Oct 16, 2008
    There have been threads in the recent past about keeping in shape/practicing while traveling, so I thought I'd share my recent/current experience.

I'm 7 days into a business trip in India that's scheduled for 3 weeks. Knowing that I'd be gone that long I decided that mouthpiece buzzing anole wasn't going to cut it, so I packed my pocket trumpet and Silent Brass system in my carry-on.

I'd never had problems with domestic travel but I was a bit nervous about international airports and their scrutiny. Fortunately, none of the security checpoints even mentioned the instrument.

When I finally got to the hotel I was hopeful that there would be a ballroom or something similar where I could go to play, but I'm in what's considered a "residence" hotel, so there are just guest rooms and no meeting areas.

So for now I'm relegated to playing only with the mute in. This isn't ideal obviously, but not a huge inconvenience. Out of a normal 1 1/2 to 2 hour daily practice routine I typically have a mute in for about 45 minutes, so I'm kind of used to it.

Since I won't be venturing very far from the hotel or office I'll have lots of time on the weekend to play, and I've managed at least 30 minutes a day so far, so I'm VERY happy I brought the horn with me.

2. ComeBackKid

ComeBackKid Fortissimo User

May 11, 2009
    Yorba Linda, CA
    Good job! Where there's a will, there's a way. Why not go sit on the street and put your hat on the sidewalk? You could make some money while you practice.