practicing while on a business trip

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Decrescendo, Apr 6, 2010.

1. Decrescendo

Decrescendo New Friend

Mar 3, 2010
    New Orleans
    i will be leaving for a 5 day business trip soon and i was wondering how to deal with being in a hotel and having 3 roommates... i do not have a practice mute but i do have a straight and harmon mute... should i bring my horn at all? should i just bring a mouthpiece and buzz the tunes? i really dont want to go five days without playing my horn... any advice?

2. mchs3d

mchs3d Mezzo Forte User

Sep 30, 2005
    Provo, UT
    Well, you can try using your harmon. It should not be too loud. Do you have any time to go buy a Renuzit air freshener? You can use one of those to make a pretty decent practice mute. I made one, and it worked well (and smelled great).

3. Decrescendo

Decrescendo New Friend

Mar 3, 2010
    New Orleans
    no i dont have time do go buy one im gonna take my chances with the harmon and if the hotel comes knocking on my door ill just stop playing for the rest of the trip

4. Glennx

Glennx Pianissimo User

Aug 16, 2009
    Ottawa
    I'll second the Renuzit practice mute: for $1.00 you just can't go wrong! Provided you bring along about 5" of self-adhesive weatherstripping, you can run into Wal-Mart, buy the air freshener for a buck and make it in the hotel room bathroom - it'll take you 10 minutes, 15 minutes tops. It fits perfectly, can be made more or less quieter as you like, and plays remarkably in tune. Highly recommended and waaaay less expensive than the $40+ professional quiet practice mutes sold in the stores.

5. keehun

keehun Piano User

Feb 4, 2010
    Minnesota
  6. Decrescendo

Decrescendo New Friend

Mar 3, 2010
    New Orleans
    ill definitely have to make one of those when i get a chance... so many scents to choose from how will i ever decide :lol::lol::lol:

7. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    I have a pocket trumpet and a Yamaha Silent Brass just for times like this. A couple of weeks ago, it tied me over for almost 2 weeks. The day I returned, I got off of the plane and had the first rehearsal and concert. No problems.

The harmon will be fine. You do not need to practice fortissimo.

8. RandyTx

RandyTx Pianissimo User

Mar 26, 2010
    Central Texas
    I still have an old shastock mute, which is/was like playing into a rolled bag of carpet. don't know if they still make them or not, but they're very quite, far less noise than from a harmon.

9. Glennx

Glennx Pianissimo User

Aug 16, 2009
    Ottawa
  10. gbdeamer

gbdeamer Forte User

Oct 16, 2008
    That setup got me through 3 long weeks in India.

I ditto the advice to bring the harmon if that's all you have.

SOME practice time is better than no practice time...