practicing while on a business trip

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Decrescendo, Apr 6, 2010.

1. tedh1951

tedh1951 Utimate User

Oct 18, 2007
    The Wide Brown Land
    I use the Harmon with a pocket trumpet and spend a lot of time in hotel rooms - never a complaint, and the airlines don't seem to mind the pocket trumpet as carry-on.

2. gbdeamer

gbdeamer Forte User

Oct 16, 2008
    Same here. The only thing I was ever stopped and questioned for was a mouthpiece. I had an extra one in my computer bag and a security guy in Madrid pulled me aside and started questioning me. Fortunately as soon as I started buzzing it a supervisor recognized what I was doing and let me go.

3. Mark Green

Mark Green New Friend

Mar 3, 2010
    Anchorage, Alaska USA
    One of the cheapest practice mute accessories ever: one unused kleenex. Stuff it inside your [tube-removed] harmon mute so it loosely drapes over the tube hole. It makes the harmon SUPER-QUIET yet blows more freely than most practice mutes. And if you have one of those harmons (like the Harmon brand mute) that won't let the low-F# sound, it's cool because you can make a good low F# with the tissue in there. And you can play high and use big airflow without blowback, and without disturbing people.

4. alextrumpet

alextrumpet New Friend

Feb 7, 2006
    San Diego, CA
    I found that many hotels were super cool with letting me "borrow" a banquet room or unused dining room for a one hour practice. I was a flight attendant and traveled the world living in hotels......rooms can be too finicky for roommates and/or neighbors. I suggest strolling down to the conference room area or banquet hall and asking someone. I never got refused and was always treated with respect.

5. jonterman

jonterman Pianissimo User

Jan 4, 2009
    Just came back from Fla, had the same set up...worked great.

6. tedh1951

tedh1951 Utimate User

Oct 18, 2007
    The Wide Brown Land
    I like this idea - I normally opt for apartment style accomodation which often has no conference or ballroom facilities, but I might just give this a shot - I like practising in BIG rooms.

Last edited: Apr 9, 2010
  7. Mark Green

Mark Green New Friend

Mar 3, 2010
    Anchorage, Alaska USA
    If you're on a business trip and you have a rental car, practice in the car. I practice in the car all the time -- on a short lunch break I can drive over to a nearby parking lot and blow for half an hour. Acoustics and posture are lousy - kind of like playing in some nightclubs. Nothing wrong with hearing yourself play in the least flattering environments, it's like swinging two bats when you're on deck. I told Edward Carroll this once in a master class and he thought I was nuts but at least it gives me a chance to practice when better facilities are not available.

8. tedh1951

tedh1951 Utimate User

Oct 18, 2007
    The Wide Brown Land

Ahhh Edward Carroll ..... very astute assessor of the human condition. ;-)

9. Gunner

Gunner New Friend

Apr 27, 2010
    Cinci, OH and Louisville
    I alway had trouble getting the Silent Brass mute in my Jupiter Pocket trumpet right. They have a smaller bell.

10. jiarby

jiarby Fortissimo User

May 7, 2011
    Arizona
    A Faxx practice mute fits perfectly in my Jupiter 416BL Pocket Trumpet.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 14, 2011