practicing while on a business trip

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Decrescendo, Apr 6, 2010.

1. JediYoda

JediYoda Mezzo Piano User

Sep 25, 2010
    State of Confusion
    I was on a business trip to Poland to do a wedding for German banker whose daughter I had met several years ago while playiung my trumpet. He had property in Tarnow. I was checking my stuff and my carry on was my C trumpet.....
    They sent my trumpet through the XRay machine and when it got through the XRay machine the colored lady who was on the other end made me take my trumpet out and take my valves apart....you get the picture...
    So I asked for her supervisor......when he showed up I said to him-- This lady doesn`t know what a trumpet looks like?
    The idiot said to me -- well, you can never be too careful can you...lolol

2. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    They were looking for drugs not bombs. If you made your flight, everything is OK. You could have passed out business cards after the world saw that you were a trumpet player!

3. Gunner

Gunner New Friend

Apr 27, 2010
    Cinci, OH and Louisville
    I always take a mouthpiece with me in my laptop bag when I travel. Last week on a trip out of Louisville the fellow at the xray was the first to comment on the mouthpiece. He asked if it was a cornet or trumpet mouthpiece.

4. Dupac

Dupac Fortissimo User

Aug 19, 2008
    Bordeaux, France.
    I also always take a mouthpiece with me. Two or three years ago, at London airport, the security guy stopped me for a while, but it was a moment to talk about trumpets and cornets : he was himself a cornet player in a brass band ! Never had any problem in Madrid, where I often go.

5. JNINWI

JNINWI Piano User

Apr 26, 2011
    Earth
    I've been in the same situation. I head out to the back corner of the parking lot. If I can get away without a mute good, if not put it in and get-er-done. :play:

6. PatMurphy

PatMurphy Pianissimo User

Aug 9, 2009
    Cherry Hill NJ
    I bring my horn to the motel/hotel all the time

When I check in I ask if they have an unused room in the basement, a vacant meeting room etc. I tell them what I need it for and they are usually intrigued and very helpful.
    It may be a different room at different days or time of the day
    I have also played outside. Once under a bridge in New Hope. 2 weeks ago I was in Atlantic city on the ocean 22 floors up. With an offshore wind I played, no mute, on the baclony and bothered no one
    I bring he usual mutes, box, Harmon(I do not like) Cup etc.
    I buzz my Mouthpice in between.

7. Fluffy615

Fluffy615 Piano User

Nov 30, 2006
    New Jersey
    I second Rowuk's suggestion. I have a pocket trumpet and a practice mute that I take on vacation with me. I've used it on a cruise ship for a number of years now and never had a problem.
    Bob

8. PatMurphy

PatMurphy Pianissimo User

Aug 9, 2009
    Cherry Hill NJ
    Whenever I am at a Motel/Hotel I just explain to the concierge or desk clerk I am a trumpet player and do they have a room I can use.
    Many times it is an unused meeting room, banquet roo, storage room in the basement. I have always been accomodated.

Also 3 weeks ago in Atlantic city 22 floors up overlooking the ocean and since the wind was brisk and offshore, I played with no mute on the balcony and bothered no one .
    I have played many times ouside in a park or in a remote corner of a parking lot. Even under a bridge over the Delaware in New Hope Pa
    I always bring mutes, box, cup and Harmon but I hate using them.