Practicing with different horns

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Blind Bruce, Dec 8, 2009.

1. Blind Bruce

Blind Bruce Pianissimo User

Apr 17, 2009
    Winnipeg Canada
    I have my main horn with a 5C mouthpiece. However, I sometimes want to play (and practice on) the other ones, specifically the cornet.
    Will the change in mouthpieces detrimentally affect my embouchure that is still being developed?

2. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    Maybe. It depends on how well you practice.

And what is good, Phaedrus,
    And what is not good--
    Need we ask anyone to tell us these things?

Plato

Listen to your chops. Sometimes practicing willy-nilly is the way to go; sometimes a carefully thought out pause with fresh warm-up is the better path.

You can mess up your chops even if you had the same rim on all your mouthpieces.

Just practice good.

rowuk likes this.
  3. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    If it results in MORE playing, it is most likely beneficial.

We are creatures of habit. Practicing switches helps us master them. Habits are developed with between 5,000 and 10,000 repetitions. Go for it!

4. gsmonks

gsmonks Piano User

How an embouchure may or may not be affected depends upon a lot of factors. If switching doesn't bother you, don't be afraid to do it. If switching does bother you, there are underlying issues with your embouchure that should be addressed.

As a multi-brass player I can tell you from many years of experience and from the experiences of other multi-brass players that if your underlying methodology is solid, it doesn't matter what sort of horn you play or whether the horn itself is good, bad or indifferent.

The underlying principles of brass playing are few and they are universal, which is why some of us play everything from tuba to piccolo trumpet.

That said, in the early going consistency is very important to getting your feet planted solidly on the ground floor, so you might want to get matching trumpet and cornet mouthpieces so that only the instrument is different. You might want a shallower mouthpiece for trumpet than cornet, so matching your cup diameter and rim would be the way to go.