Practicing with less pressure

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by B-Flat Cat, Aug 30, 2015.

1. B-Flat Cat

B-Flat Cat Pianissimo User

Sep 9, 2010
    Tennessee
    I was reading a thread about practicing basics, including using less pressure on the mouthpiece. I didn't want to side-track that discussion with my question: Does anyone have experience, good or bad, with devices like the Warburton APE Anti-Pressure Exerciser? I am working on extending my range and endurance and this looks like something I can use when not actually practicing with a horn.

2. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Trumpet players use pressure - because it works. Just reducing pressure means a loss of range and endurance because they require various factors that work together. To reduce pressure, we do not need a training device, we need monitored practice time with exercizes that first improve our breathing, then exercizes that promote chop flexibility (advanced lip slurs for instance). Body use is yet another thing that needs to be payed attention to. Plan months for this type of improvement. We are breaking habits, that requires hundreds to thousands of repetitions to secure.

3. Dennis78

Dennis78 Fortissimo User

Feb 1, 2015
    Cincinnati
    Straight away using less pressure will kill your range for a while, but with plenty of ppp long tones and slurs and intervals range comes back with more to boot. When you get used to it your endurance will get better too