Practicing with other people

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by audwey11, Feb 2, 2016.

1. audwey11

audwey11 Pianissimo User

Dec 1, 2015
    Maine
    Hello again!
    When I started playing trumpet, my father decided to pick up the trumpet again and relearn. While I enjoy practicing with him, we have slightly different styles meaning I sometimes don't practice the way I want to, so I find it more productive when I practice myself. How can I make this process more productive for me?

2. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Enjoy the time with your dad! There will be a time when he is no longer there.

That being said, we maximize the experience by being prepared. Practice more than once a day. Play duets with your dad during one session and work on your weaknesses during another.

3. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    Ditto with what Rowuk just stated. Too, versatility is an accomplishment.

4. mgcoleman

mgcoleman Mezzo Forte User

Jun 22, 2010
    Iowa
    First, be thankful your dad is actively interested and supportive.
    Second, steer some of those opportunities towards ensemble playing and take advantage of having another player handy. Duets, etc...anything that forces you to listen, match, blend, move, express the music together. That will be productive for you and him.
    Third, tell him you need to talk and politely explain you really need regular time alone to woodshed through stuff. All good players need focused practice time. I seriously couldn't imagine your dad being anything other than impressed at your dedication and desire to improve.

5. bumblebee

bumblebee Fortissimo User

Jan 21, 2010
    Great Southern Land
    Is your father a TM member too? Practising with your father sounds like a wonderful thing to do so I wouldn't try and diminish that -- which leaves the other option of spending more time practising yourself - add in extra sessions where you work on something alone (and perhaps you'll have to get out of the house to manage this).

--bumblebee

6. SteveRicks

SteveRicks Fortissimo User

Aug 15, 2009
    Alabama
    Nothing wrong with practicing with your father and then doing some on your own. Years later you will likely look back as the playing time together as time well spent. Enjoy it. Also, grab some duets and have some fun.

7. audwey11

audwey11 Pianissimo User

Dec 1, 2015
    Maine

My father is not a TM member, I often practice in between my other school band activities (brass quintet, jazz band, volunteering with the elementary band, helping the middle school jazz band, which is currently struggling.)

bumblebee likes this.
  8. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    Audwey11, I hope it is the middle school band that is struggling and not you. Too, I hope your instrumental music instructor/band director provides you a good reference letter should you pursue such forward through college. All this EXTRA effort should hold you in good stead. Still, do not neglect either your own practice and academic studies or the sharing with your Father as these really are your priority.

9. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Absolutely, make your dad your Maine man!

10. audwey11

audwey11 Pianissimo User

Dec 1, 2015
    Maine
    They only have one trumpet (that is a middle schooler), three alto saxes, a trombone, a piano and drums. I believe that is the best thing I can do to help the once a weak.

I could NEVER neglect my academics because I take all honors, plus a sophomore math class. If I slacked off of these priorities, I would suffer and feel really guilty!