Practicing with Ultra Small Moutpiece affecting my technique on other mouthpieces.

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by SmoothOperator, Dec 9, 2011.

1. SmoothOperator

SmoothOperator Mezzo Forte User

Jul 14, 2010
    It seems that practicing with an ultra small mouthpiece(Kelly Screamer) effects my embouchure. It seems to have less tolerance in several areas, including: horn angle, centering, and air flow, pressure on the lips. Also I can feel many smaller muscles getting a work out. These habits: horn angle, centering and air flow control seem to be beneficial to other mouthpieces. In other words I feel that was able to get by with a poorer technique on the larger mouthpieces. Has anyone else had a similar experience?

2. DaTrump

DaTrump Forte User

Oct 21, 2011
    Huntsville, Texas
    Re: Practicing with Ultra Small Moutpiece affecting my technique on other mouthpieces

The sticky on the mouthpiece forum mentions it. Here is the paragraph in particular

I think that basically sums up

3. Al Innella

Al Innella Forte User

Aug 9, 2007
    Levittown , NY
    Re: Practicing with Ultra Small Moutpiece affecting my technique on other mouthpieces

You have to work more,( more practice) to play either a very large, or very small mouthpiece,they're less forgiving then medium sized ones.

Last edited: Dec 9, 2011
  4. Local 357

Local 357 Banned

Jul 1, 2011

-

It can cut both ways. At first I found that lower register endurance was the hang up on the shallower pieces. The main sign of this is the tendency to "bottom out". "Bottoming out" being a major hurdle that many never over come. So they immediately denounce the shallow piece as unplayable.

What they really needed was more time and patience developing the skills necessary to master the smaller pieces. And as you're finding out a new set of muscles and related movements is necessary. Especially to gain flexibility, articulation and ACCURACY. So yes I agree with you: One may get away with a weaker technique on larger pieces. At least in some categories.

That said I find that in order to play the larger mouthpieces effectively today I must utilize more embouchure strength and focus. Conversely I play my shallower pieces in "weaker" chop settings. There's a reason for this:

Being accustomed to shallow pieces I can let go of a lot of middle lip embouchure tension. Playing my high notes with a setting very open such as I would use to play a Low G or such. By playing with such an open setting I can allow the shallow piece to do it's magic and just blow. Playing notes well above High C at good volume with much more endurance than possible on bigger pieces.

The bigger m/piece demands more muscle tone in order to play high notes well The shallower piece requires less effort (than the big piece) up high but needs more conditioning for work down low.

5. Mark_Kindy

Mark_Kindy Mezzo Forte User

Jul 11, 2010
    Gainesville, FL

+1 to 357's post. I was going to comment some on that but I believe that pretty much covers the bases.

It's not really "poorer technique", but rather since the area of the mouthpiece is smaller, you can't afford to have it move around as much. I discovered this in marching band, and it's partially why I march a 3c instead of my Shew 2(shallower/smaller). As well, you develop more minute muscle control because it requires smaller changes. Deeper mouthpieces require a somewhat larger muscle set to obtain the focus necessary for the airstream. Shallower mouthpieces help with this.

6. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany

After all of the posts here on TM you would think that most would get the message.

You switch mouthpieces without a real plan- you crash and burn. There is no help for lack of common sense. Poor technique is poor technique and to fix that, the hardware is not the issue. You may think that you feel the small muscles working differently. To me that means that you aren't listening AND have great powers of imagination.

Good luck.

7. BrotherBACH

BrotherBACH Piano User

Oct 5, 2010

Sincere question then. When people play different horns for different purposes ie., flugal, piccolo, etc..... don't they require different mouthpieces? Is practice on other horns with different mouthpieces important to learn how to adjust. Does practice on these different horns then interfere with the trumpet? I say this because I have two different horns that I like to play, and the two mouthpieces are slighly different, even though they are both MT. Vernon 3Cs.

BrotherBACH

8. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany

BB,
    I do use different mouthpieces for different horns - with a plan. I practice with the mouthpieces/horns that I need next. I prepare for the gig, not the practice room. If I need multiple horns, then I practice with those horns and mouthpieces. If your goal is music, then you do what supports the music and forget all the other stuff that just bogs the mind down.

There is no reason to practice with a mouthpiece that you do not need on stage. We are creatures of habit and the fine motor muscle activity works best when trained as it will be needed where it counts. I guess for those that don't practice enough, everything can fuel the imagination - there are no habits worth mentioning.

9. BrotherBACH

BrotherBACH Piano User

Oct 5, 2010

Excellent point, now I understand the difference. Thanks.

BrotherBACH

10. hhsTrumpet

hhsTrumpet Piano User

Dec 3, 2011
    California

Don't use Kelly mouthpieces.
    There's way better mouthpieces than those!