Practicing with Ultra Small Moutpiece affecting my technique on other mouthpieces.

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by SmoothOperator, Dec 9, 2011.

1. Mark_Kindy

Mark_Kindy Mezzo Forte User

Jul 11, 2010
    Gainesville, FL
    Re: Practicing with Ultra Small Moutpiece affecting my technique on other mouthpieces

I believe that is an unfair and unhelpful assessment. There are some fine players use Kellys with success (Bobby Shew, for one), as there are some that use Schilke 6a4a's (Bill Chase). The thing is, as others may have mentioned, they are meant as specialization mouthpieces. In order to use them properly, you must have developed good playing skills, same as any other mouthpiece of its kind, and as Rowuk kindly suggests, you must have a plan. "Better" is extremely subjective IMO.

Last edited: Dec 11, 2011
  2. trumpetplanet

trumpetplanet New Friend

Dec 8, 2011
    Bristol, UK
    Re: Practicing with Ultra Small Moutpiece affecting my technique on other mouthpieces

I agree. I've been a bit of a mouthpiece-swapper in the last few years and what I find more and more is that I'll hang on to a mouthpiece if I have a job for it. More than anything I tend to find that my success with any piece depends on how it changes the feeling of a trumpet. I actually use a bigger rim on my A piccolo than on my B-flat most of the time, and a deeper piece on my D trumpet because it's quite a conical instrument.
    At the moment I'm training myself to use a shallower piece with my B-flat because I do a fair amount of commercial playing these days but I'm not gonna wreck myself if I don't get on with it longer term because I've always (thankfully!) had a pretty strong upper register anyway.

3. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany

hhs, you have disqualified yourself. Why can't you post about things that you understand?

4. hhsTrumpet

hhsTrumpet Piano User

Dec 3, 2011
    California

I apologize for my ignorance. I've only heard bad things about Kelly mouthpieces. I'm pretty of new to TM, so please forgive me.

5. Dave Hughes

Dave Hughes Mezzo Forte User

Oct 19, 2010
    Rochester, NY

I absolutely, whole-heartedly agree, Rowuk.

PS: I use the Kelly Screamer in cold weather, parade, outdoor setting (wrapped with a Denis Wick metal sleeve to give some core) and, though its maybe a size too thin for me to use all the time, its got a great shape to it and plays nice.

Great thread, guys!

Last edited: Dec 11, 2011
  6. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany

Ever heard of prejudice, apartheid, The Constitution? The first two have nothing to do with being new here and the third very clearly outlines "innocent until proven guilty". You never "heard" about Kelly being bad. You tried to be "cool" by putting something else down. Life does not work that way.

7. DaTrump

DaTrump Forte User

Oct 21, 2011
    Huntsville, Texas

I think "heard" is the issue. Just because it is heard doesn't mean anything, it would seem that the masses are not educated and therefore what you hear should not be considered fact, or true. Mark brings up an excellent point that many are not successful, some are. This doesn't make the piece bad or good, it just works for some better than others. Bill Chase used a 6A4a, but I would not recommend it to any others without much consideration.

8. Dave Hughes

Dave Hughes Mezzo Forte User

Oct 19, 2010
    Rochester, NY

Now that you've gotten your requisite tongue lashing from Rowuk, welcome to TM, HHS! Now, onward and upward!

9. SmoothOperator

SmoothOperator Mezzo Forte User

Jul 14, 2010

Well I feel like even if the mouthpiece turns out to be the equivalent of a cheap pair of training wheels, so far I am satisfied with the investment :D I can't say it is my permanent solution just yet.

10. BrotherBACH

BrotherBACH Piano User

Oct 5, 2010

An occaisional spanking keeps us all honest :-)

BrotherBACH