Practicing with Ultra Small Moutpiece affecting my technique on other mouthpieces.

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by SmoothOperator, Dec 9, 2011.

1. Dave Hughes

Dave Hughes Mezzo Forte User

Oct 19, 2010
    Rochester, NY
    Re: Practicing with Ultra Small Moutpiece affecting my technique on other mouthpieces

Its not the whipping, its if you fight back! Make this a start! You'll find in the end you have more in common with him than you think.

2. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Re: Practicing with Ultra Small Moutpiece affecting my technique on other mouthpieces

I think that we went through this recently. Myths, lies, urge to blog.............

Just imagine if some of the BS posted really caused financial issues. Just imagine if Kelly had the legal department that Apple or IBM did and started slapping down such posts. Or imagine the other way around - rumor put a company out of business.

On the other hand, if we really examine what makes a mouthpiece good, we do not blog garbage. We realize that Kellys type of material and manufacturing can have distinct advantages.

What made this case worse is the anonymous, "I heard". If our character is reduced to what others supposedly say, how valuable is a person to a community? How lame can we be to blame others for something that WE posted.

Before someone gets upset because "this is only a kid", please consider that we are creatures of habit. What we do is very seldom isolated from what we truly are. It is never to late to start practicing advanced character studies.

Last edited: Dec 13, 2011
    Peter McNeill likes this.
  3. JNINWI

JNINWI Piano User

Apr 26, 2011
    Earth

Good Thread !!
    I use 4 different mouthpieces, each has their specific sound and place, and they run from small to large. I choose each one depending on what I am going to play, I have my lead piece that I wouldn’t even think of bringing in a church, as it would do major damage to ears, walls, paint, glass, etc… and down at the watering hole end I have a 1C that would put me in the hospital if I tried to use it for lead playing. Find the piece that suits your playing style and work that piece until you know it inside and out. The point here is that you have to find out where the “Set” or sweet spot is for each mouthpiece, as none of them are the same and they all have their own sweet spot. I believe this is what Rowuk says he does, practices on the piece he’s going to perform on, he’s looking for the optimum “Set”. You can not set up on a 1C the same way you set up on a lead piece or Kelly screamer. But when you do find the “Sweet spot” on each piece then you can change from piece to piece with little effort or pain, and get the job done right ! I also agree that the smaller the piece the smaller the sweet spot. There’s nothing like a tight……..sweet spot… :play:

4. Eswany33

Eswany33 New Friend

Aug 22, 2012
    North Carolina, USA

Kelly's are great. While many don't "believe" in them they actually play well if you give them the chance. Especially in a colder setting. People tell me that it's cheating to use a lead trumpet mouthpiece that's plastic, but isn't the point of playing to find something that you like and are used to. If you can play well on a Kelly then it might be for you, but if you can't then it's fine to not play it, just don't trash talk them.

5. Garibalditrpt

Garibalditrpt New Friend

Oct 11, 2012

Public praise, private reprimand is still the best policy, from a personal and business perspective.

6. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC

Sure there is ... if you've the money to buy them, and like the "safari" and expense to find the one(s) that work for YOU. IMO there's nothing wrong with a Kelly 5C and especially so in frigid conditions. Some can, some can't ... and some won't. While I notice differences among mouthpieces, personally I've yet to find one I cannot "make do" and that includes mouthpieces for other brass instruments and also include Parduba and Asymmetric. It is my thought that using others, maximizes and strenghens the full facial and lip muscles more. Too, with young school age children, there is less chance of "calamity" from a dropped mouthpiece with Kellys. I bought the boys I'm tutoring Kelly 5Cs and they like them. I've one myself that is always in my pocket to use with my Buzzzmaster and to check out a trumpet I may acquire.

7. hhsTrumpet

hhsTrumpet Piano User

Dec 3, 2011
    California

Please note that I commented on this thread a year ago and have learned a lot since then on this forum.

8. watchguy44

watchguy44 Pianissimo User

Jul 10, 2010
    Illinois

Kelly mouthpieces are okay if you're playing in the cold sure, but overall I think the bottom line is if it works for you and you sound good, then have fun with it.
    I tried a 3C and a screamer and for whatever reason just couldn't get the "feel" for them.
    Very interesting threads here on this......:dontknow:

9. SmoothOperator

SmoothOperator Mezzo Forte User

Jul 14, 2010

I must admit after having it for a couple months, and the shine has worn off, I do play with the Kelly every once and while when I am working on upper registers, but not as my main piece.

10. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio

And that is what TM is all about... Learning. Glad we were able to help you here and this post shows a keen sense of maturity.

Sure wish we could get Rowuk back... I always enjoyed getting a finger lashing or two by him... he has taught me much this way.