Practicing

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by jabbott, Feb 25, 2011.

1. jabbott

jabbott New Friend

May 22, 2008
    La Plata, Maryland
    Hey guys,

I just picked up trumpet again this semester after transferring back into the music education program at my university. I was never the most consistent practicer, usually putting in around a half hour a week outside of my various ensembles. I'm attempting to find a way to get a consistent practicing routine in for around 6 days a week with one day of just resting. I already know what to practice and how to go about doing such, but I was looking for advice on how to break myself into a routing like this considering that I very rarely practiced before. Somehow I was able to keep a consistent high range of around a consistent high E, even though I never really worked on range... Anyway, any advice on how I could break this routine in would be absolutely wonderful.

Thanks!

2. rainbowboy023

rainbowboy023 Pianissimo User

Feb 15, 2011
    Australia
    If concentrations your problem, then break up your practice sessions into multiple small ones vs one big one. Like practice 45 minutes 4 times to get 3 hours instead of doing 3 hours all at once. As for actually starting practicing, just force yourself to do for about 2 or 3 weeks every day then eventually the habit will form.

3. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    +1 !!

4. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    As mentioned above, it takes around 21 days to establish a habit. To establish the habit I would suggest the following:

Practice trumpet until it stops feeling fun, and starts to feel like work. At that point, work on keyboard skills, theory, whatever....do this until what you are doing stops feeling fun and starts feeling like work. The idea is to reach a state where you'd rather practice trumpet than continue with keyboard skills, theory or whatever, at which point practice trumpet some more.

It is kind of like shampoo instructions--"lather, rinse, repeat." This way you are not slave to a clock, but are building and learning self-motivation.

Please note that motivation is always internal and not external.

If you give this approach a try, please report back in three weeks.

Have fun!

5. mrsemman

mrsemman Piano User

Apr 8, 2010
    Massachusetts
    The one thing that wasn't mentioned was the commitment you will make to establishing a practice routine. The word "try" or "trying" is a "cop out". You either establish a practice routine or not. I know that you re-entered the music program. Ask yourself, "why did you leave before? and why did you return?" The advice given by those above will only work, if you follow the advice. Don't take that you can reach a high E with only a half hour's practice per week, will remain the same.

6. mineo50

mineo50 Pianissimo User

Jan 15, 2011
    Barstow, CA
    +1
    The other questions beyond the high E, are how much are your technique and overall tonal qualities suffering from not having a regular "structured" practice regimen? It sounds like what saved these values and your chops in the past were the ensembles you were playing in. The investment you make today will pay off in a lifetime relationship with your music. Even an hour a day of practice regularly will pay off in spades as opposed to 15 minutes a week.

7. pbenn2112

pbenn2112 New Friend

Dec 6, 2010
    As some others have mentioned, maje sure you're enjoying yourself. That may mean enjoying what you're playing (the music selected) or enjoying that feeling of improving. When I speak to my middle school band students about practicing, I make sure to mention that playing your instrument should be something that is fun.

8. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    I can see where you're coming from, but I've got a different take on this. Playing an instrument is not fun. Fun is playing video games or shooting frogs with a BB gun. Graffiti and vandalism are fun.

I make a distinction between pleasure and fun. Who among us, starting out said to ourselves "Oh boy, I get to play some long tones again! Wooh-hooh!"

Practicing and performing are only "fun" if we find pleasure in our own playing and sharing it with others.

My daily routine has nothing fun about it, but when I'm "on" it brings all kinds of personal pleasure.

The difference between pleasure and fun; the difference between being rich and wealthy are hard lessons to learn and to teach. My dedication to the trumpet has given me pleasure and riches that by far dominate fun and wealth (even though I really like fun and money).

Have pleasure!

9. pbenn2112

pbenn2112 New Friend

Dec 6, 2010

I see what you're saying and agree 100% with you. The way you use the word pleasure is what I am saying about fun. However you want to say it, a musician should be deriving something positive out of playing an instrument. Otherwise, what's the point.

10. B15M

B15M Forte User

Dec 30, 2003
    Monroe Ct.
    How long should you practise in each session?

Stop before you get tired or play until you get tired or maybe keep going after you are tired to build more muscle?