Practicing

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by G-Roy, Jun 21, 2012.

1. G-Roy

G-Roy New Friend

Feb 23, 2012
    My family has recently sold our house and bought a new 5th wheel to live in. We're parked right in town (in my grandfathers backyard actually [as crazy as it sounds]) for the time until my parents find a house to buy.
    Its a rather nice 5th wheel. However, I play trumpet in my university's marching band and I'm having a stressful time locating a practice area for myself. I'm afraid that if I begin to practice here with the very thin walls the neighbors will start to complain about the noise.
    My grandpa doesn't like me playing in the house either... Any suggestions?

-Garrett

Also: it's summer break, I'm out of state, so I can't practice on campus.

2. D.C. Al fine

D.C. Al fine Banned

May 8, 2012
    USA
    If you cant go inside, try the roof!

I was concerned about people being bugged by my playing. So I would go and close all the windows in the house, close the doors. Until one day when I got the mail and one of my neighbors was walking by. She asked if I was the one playing the trumpet and my response was something like "Oh, I am really sorry if I have been bugging you." She laughed and said she looks forward to my hour of practicing. Since she could hear me with all of my windows closed I decided to open them and start playing out the window.

Go ask your neighbors if they would mind you practicing, I highly doubt they will.

3. AKtrumpet

AKtrumpet Piano User

Jun 4, 2010
    Alaska
    When I used to live in an apartment building I would go down to the church when it wasn't in use and practice for hours.

I would ask your neighbors about practicing as D.C. suggests. Good luck.

Ultimately if you love it enough you'll find a way.

4. patkins

patkins Forte User

Nov 22, 2010
    Tuscaloosa, AL.
    The Yamaha Silent Brass system is fairly quiet. You can buy one reasonably priced used. I like mine for when I'm travelling.

5. robrtx

robrtx Mezzo Forte User

May 26, 2012
    Hawaii
    Lots of good mutes can be used for practice and will not be heard outside your home.
    Any practice rooms at your University?
    Church idea sounds promising also......

good luck

6. applianceguy

applianceguy Pianissimo User

May 22, 2012
    San Antonio Texas
    I sit in my car with the a/c on. It kinda sounds odd at first, as I am blowing right at the air ducts, and the temperature inversion?? I guess that's what you would call it .., you know warm sound into cold air.., kinda bends the sound until the car cools down and the horn warms up. It reminds me of playing on cold mornings in marching band. Also a mute works, but it wears you out kinda fast, but helps you build the diaphragm, as you have to blow harder to get the right pitch.
    I looked into the church thing too, It was Memorial day, and I attend the Mens B'fast bible study, monday morning, and it worked out pretty good, because , originally I was just going to check the acoustics of the gym, but I was asked to play Taps for Memorial day..., and it was quite an honor!
    Sometimes I go to the local park, and no-one has complained yet.., I have actually received a few compliments. I feel your pain, as I live in a townhome community, and I have to wait till the neighbors are gone, to make some real noise.
    :dontknow:

Last edited: Jun 23, 2012
  7. DaTrump

DaTrump Forte User

Oct 21, 2011
    Huntsville, Texas
    Check a church, sometimes your local high school's band hall will stay open. Just go in and ask the band director if it is okay. You can always play in the street :thumbsup:

8. Dave Mickley

Dave Mickley Forte User

Nov 11, 2005
    Indianapolis
    does the 5th wheel have a small closet? when I lived in an apartment I used to practice in front of a closet with my bell between two coats, it worked pretty well, very little back pressure and no complaints.

9. robrtx

robrtx Mezzo Forte User

May 26, 2012
    Hawaii
    This must be where the term "Closet trumpet player" comes from ROFL

10. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    welcome, and I hope you find a good location to play