Practicing

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Saltycracka_, Dec 19, 2012.

1. bachfella

bachfella Mezzo Piano User

Oct 11, 2011
    Claymont, DE
    I'm also qualified to be a band director, which is why I'm curious as to why the OP quit band. The OP is, of course, under no obligation to divulge that information....

2. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    Yep, such is analogous to the "Fifth Amendment". Still, inquiring minds would like to know ... and I'd hate to think it is one that is on my mind, that certainly would be justified by the OP.

3. Phil986

Phil986 Forte User

Nov 16, 2009
    Near Portland, OR.
    A good, experienced teacher can not possibly be a waste of time. There are countless ways to do things wrong with the trumpet and dig yourself down farther and farther with time. That's worse than time wasted, that's time actively working against you. Someone who has experience teaching and playing should guide you if you want to avoid this. Some of the greatest players owe much of their accomplishement to their teachers (Maurice Andre, Hakan Hardenberger, many more). Once in a while, an exceptionally gifted player makes it to a high level without such expert guidance. Merri Franquin did, and Sergei Nakariakov, to an extent. If you think you're one of these, all you need is an Arban book and whatever other method you fancy. Good luck.

4. SteveRicks

SteveRicks Fortissimo User

Aug 15, 2009
    Alabama
    Be sure to get an Arban's book. Spend some time warming up, practicing books like Arban's and playing for fun.

5. BinaryHulledIon

BinaryHulledIon Piano User

Nov 23, 2012
    Spartanburg, SC
    +1 for Arban's. Add a few more for Schlossberg, and maybe a recital book or a hymnal so you're not all work and no play.

Even if you can put together the cash for a tutor once a month, it'd be worth it just to have the direction and input with somebody who's standing right there watching you play.

6. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Effective practice, use of proper dynamics, and a teacher where the listening and hearing what each other has to say is essential. Oh yeah, one more thing, motivation, because without that you will be wasting yours and your teacher's time.

7. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Your parents have just sentenced you to mediocraty. Share this post with them to know we support your quest to get a teacher.

Last edited: Dec 20, 2012
  8. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    As I read it, not the OP but the parents of.

9. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    Yes, I truly lucked out, my private tutor was also my instrumental instructor in the lower grades and my high school band director. As for Arban's, if then there were two copies in my home town, one would be his and the other the one he gave me, mine subsequenly becoming so worn out and losing pages, that I bought another ... a Platinum Edition.

10. Saltycracka_

Saltycracka_ New Friend

Nov 17, 2012
    I chose to quit band by personal choice. I have no "excuses". I was not asking for a tutor, but tips for independent study, which I stated twice before. Thanks for your encouragement, though Mr. Lee. If you ever need a letter of recommendation for a job where you help out kids like me, I'd be glad to write to them and inform them on how much of an encouragement you've been for me. From mocking my avatar, to victimizing a teenage girl, I'm sure you're the right man for the job.