Practicing

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Saltycracka_, Dec 19, 2012.

1. J. Jericho

J. Jericho Fortissimo User

Mar 16, 2011
    I looked, but did not find, the part where Ed Lee victimizes teenage girl; where is it? Could it be in the imagination of a very immature OP?

2. BinaryHulledIon

BinaryHulledIon Piano User

Nov 23, 2012
    Spartanburg, SC
    I'm fairly certain Ed isn't planning on filling out any job applications any time soon.

3. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Point well taken Ed, and I edited my post to this effect. Thanks.

4. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    Interesting! "Mr" Lee (we call him Ed) did not mock your avatar nor did he victimize a teenage girl ( sorry, I can't tell from the pic as it's too small, as to your gender). You come to a forum to get advise and qualified members do what any reputable teacher would do and ask some questions that all are valid. You get offended and snippy. I have to wonder did you quit, or were you kicked out for your lousy attitude?!
    Inquiring minds want to know. Unless you are grossly laden with world class talent (maybe accounting for your attitude), I doubt many instructors would take you under their wings (unless they're desperate). BTW, welcome to the forum!

5. trumpetnewb

trumpetnewb New Friend

Aug 17, 2012
    And now we know why she quit band.

6. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    Saltycracker, I take umbrage at your attitude. You're new so I'll excuse you, but I'll state for the record that I don't "victimize" anyone , female or male. I'm a veteran, now 76 years old, married to my present wife for 45 years and I'm also retired law enforcement. Your statement and threat reeks of slander and character assassination additionally detrimental to my present endeavor of tutoring. As to your avatar, it was not "mocking" ... it was a statement I made to your benefit based on the scenario many of the teachers/tutors on TM have recognized where students practicing at home lay their music on the bed and then awkwardy attempt to sit on the bed to practice / play. Did I initially discern you were a young female, yes, and I avoided all reference to the same.

7. Conntribution

Conntribution Fortissimo User

Dec 25, 2010
    Lloyd Harbor NY.
    Quite so.

8. TrumpetMD

TrumpetMD Fortissimo User

Oct 22, 2008
    Maryland
    I wonder if we're getting a little tough on the OP. All Saltycracka_ asked were tips on developing as a player outside of band.

Like I said above, find other outlets to play in, which it looks like you're already doing.

In addition, find a fellow trumpet player or trombone player, and get together regularly to play duets. There are a ton of trumpet/trumpet and trumpet/trombone duets out there.

Steve's suggestion to go through Arban's is a good one. Let me add that if you're going through it alone, it may help to get Eric Bolvin's guide on how to approach the Arban Manual (http://www.bolvinmusic.com/publications5.html). Eric's a great guy, a fantastic teacher, and a frequent contributor here.

Maybe some play-along, music-minus-one, or Aebersold DVDs. For example, there's a music-minus-one for the Arban Duets (Amazon.com: Music Minus One Trumpet: Complete Arban Duets: All of the Classic Studies (Sheet Music & CD) (9781596154247): Harold Lieberman, Arban, Jean-Baptiste: Books). I go through this DVD myself from time to time, as they make great lyrical studies. (As an aside, the trumpet player on these recordings was my teacher in high school.)

Finally, I realize that private lessons is probably not going to work for you financially. A compromise might be to take a private lesson from time to time, maybe once a month or even once every 3 months, to help keep you on track.

Best of luck, and keep playing Saltycracka_.

Mike

9. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    Methinks all the music "texts" would cost about the same as a private tutor, and by many tutors, such are proscribed study, especially at a more advanced level ... normally above 8th grade public school (in the U.S.) or three years of diligent study and practice with guidance.

10. BinaryHulledIon

BinaryHulledIon Piano User

Nov 23, 2012
    Spartanburg, SC
    I hear that Arban's now comes with a playalong CD...