Practicing

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by T-Money, Jul 2, 2014.

1. T-Money

T-Money New Friend

Jun 21, 2014
    My parent just got a new schedule and now I can't practice my trumpet because my dad is sleeping during the daytime I don't have money for a practice/whisper mute. I feel like I'm wasting time when I haven't touch my trumpet in 5 days.:soap::soap:

What possible ways can I practice my loud trumpet?:D

2. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Before getting the Yamaha silent mute, I would practice just my mouthpiece with my towel. Nothing... I mean nothing increased my endurance than playing the mouthpiece with a towel held in position by my hand to very the resistance as I desired.

3. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Can you find another location? Does you school have an after hours program, where you can ask to use a room (band room preferentially)? Or a friend's house where perhaps you both can even jam together! Put a positive spin on the situation.

4. chapmand

chapmand Piano User

Jul 26, 2010
    Edmonton, Alberta
    Perhaps a nearby church?

5. chapmand

chapmand Piano User

Jul 26, 2010
    Edmonton, Alberta
    Renuzit - the homemade silent mute? I don't know if I spelled it correctly.

6. Sethoflagos

Sethoflagos Utimate User

Aug 7, 2013
    Lagos, Nigeria
    I don't know what your morning schedule is, but I usually get up around 6 am and have a couple of hours free for a bit of a tootle before I set off for work.

If you're serious about your trumpet, you can discuss the problem with your family and be prepared to fit practice time around their schedule rather than expect them to fit in with yours ;-)

7. Msen

Msen Piano User

Dec 28, 2011
    I live in the Horn
    You can surely find somewhere else to practice. I've practiced in dark parks with a flash light to see the music sheet :) , at the beach, on the street with peaople passing by, in malls... just about any place you can think of. People will usually complain when I do high range excercise, dont really know why :) :) :) .

8. Sidekick

Sidekick Mezzo Piano User

Apr 14, 2011
    London UK
    T-money, a change to your practice regime can be difficult, but you obviously have to let your Dad get his sleep during the day. So you need to find an alternative that works for you both.
    Is there an hour between him getting back from work and going to bed, or after he gets up that you can agree to practice in? Maybe not, so then you need to get inventive. Gmonady's idea with the towel is a good, but finding an alternative venue to practice is probably what you need. (I have practiced with the bell burried in a pillow before, but it is far from ideal.)
    Speak to your local school, your trumpet teacher (if you have one), the local pastor (I practice at a local church about once a week to hear the full timbre of my playing), check with local scout group or anyone who has a hall and see if you can pop in when it is not in use. If you ask people, the worst that can happen is they say No. But one of them might say Yes and away you go.
    I'm not sure about playing in park after dark with a flashlight, people might get the wrong idea, but there will be somewhere to practice.
    Good luck.

9. Msen

Msen Piano User

Dec 28, 2011
    I live in the Horn
    lol some months ago, I was practicing at the park, next to the america embassy, here in Athens, Greece. After 20 minutes or so 2 police officers came up to me and asked what I was doing there. I told them I was practicing playing the trumpet, even though it was pretty obvious. They searched the trumpet case and wanted to take a look at my Yamaha 8345. I said NO NO NO and NO, :)

If you are very young it should go without saying that practicing outside would be difficult and might be dangerous if you do it in the dark. I am sure you'll find somewhere to practice if you really want to play the trumpet. I wouldnt go with any mutes or silent brass system.

10. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    I like the church idea! Give me sanctuary from my father, as he knows not what he does!