Practicing

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by T-Money, Jul 2, 2014.

1. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    That was going to be my suggestion. And if you start practicing in a church, you never know who might hear your efforts - it might lead to more performance opportunities. :-)

2. Pinstriper

Pinstriper Mezzo Forte User

Nov 26, 2013
    Portlandia
    You can turn this new spare time you have into money for the mute by using work. Alternatively, there may be a place that would allow you to trade work for the use of a room where you can practice. A neighbor who needs a lawn mowed, barkdust spread, windows washed, pets walked, etc. there are many possibilities for scraping together a few bucks.

3. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    The more I think about this "problem" the more I think that it's not that big of a problem - it takes a little bit of thinking outside of the box because obviously practicing at home is a non-starter, but a friend's house, the neighbor's house, a church, the school, the back room of a local business, etc. My first two options would be a church or the school. There's almost always someone at either location (the Catholic church in my hometown was never locked) and finding a suitable space to get some work done shouldn't be too difficult. Sure, it's more effort than just pulling the horn out of the case and playing in your bedroom, but it's not that much more effort, and it's time well spent.

Regarding the idea of getting a practice mute, personally I'm not a fan of using them unless I have to (don't even own one at the moment) but if you care about your playing, and your parents care about your playing, is there any chance you can get them to pony up for one? I know that I'd be sympathetic to that issue if my schedule was creating a situation where my kids couldn't practice. Looking online, practice mutes are running anywhere from $18 for the least expensive, and up to $60 at the highest.

It costs me $60 just to fill the gas tank of my vehicle, and even a trip to McD's can run me $10 or so - is money really such an issue that you can't find a way to come up with $20-$30 for a budget level practice mute? I'd do that for my kids.

4. neal085

neal085 Mezzo Forte User

Sep 6, 2012
    Ft. Worth, TX
    Agreed. A while back I called around to several local churches to see if they would have a place for me to practice, and almost every one of them was willing to be accommodating. And like someone else already mentioned, you never know who might hear you.

I've practiced in my car and in a deserted little league ballpark as well.

Patrick said it best - think outside the box.

Good luck.

5. Sidekick

Sidekick Mezzo Piano User

Apr 14, 2011
    London UK
    I know that I am lucky to be able to practice in a church - especially one from the 15th century. The acoustics are great and you get that lovely feeling of filling the space. Mind you some of the more jazzy numbers don't always seem quite appropriate.

Walking out through the graveyard on dark rainy nights really improves my blues playing too!

6. T-Money

T-Money New Friend

Jun 21, 2014
    My band has "open band hall" every wednesday.

7. PiGuy_314

PiGuy_314 Pianissimo User

Oct 12, 2013
    Pennsylvania
    I second the voices speaking of the alternate place to play (friend's house, church, school). Someone mentioned the homemade Renuzit mute. Here's the link for that:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=avYx6X8cK_s

Hope everything turns out well.

~Noah

8. rufflicks

rufflicks Pianissimo User

Dec 9, 2009
    Nor Cal
    Practice in the car if your family has one.

9. rufflicks

rufflicks Pianissimo User

Dec 9, 2009
    Nor Cal
    Very cheap Mouthpiece buzzing mute.

Need a mouthpiece-buzzing mute? Try a Hershey’s can. Open with can opener. Use on ice cream and in milk. Clean it and cut slits in the plastic lid to put your mouthpiece through, drill small holes in the bottom then fill with foam, stuffed animal filler socks or…

270750_10151153034668618_1377286928_n.jpg380105_10151153035103618_683197415_n.jpg

Attached Files:

10. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    You know, there is a lot of difference between 1st, 2nd and third trumpet attitudes.

If a student wants to practice, there is ALWAYS a way to find a place. If one needs an excuse not to practice, we post about it on the internet. None of the possible locations are "special" and if the thread owner really was interested, the original post would have been different (I am practicing in a church hall but there are so many groups, How can I get a higher priority?) Nope, the thread owner does not need advice, they need a boot planted where the sun doesn't shine -or to simply accept that they aren't really interested.

If there is true interest, they will tell US how they solve such issues in the context of where they live.