Practicing

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by T-Money, Jul 2, 2014.

1. Peter McNeill

Peter McNeill Utimate User

Jan 30, 2009
    Melbourne Australia
    So T-Money,
    Based on the above summary from Rowuk, your next post should be to tell us what you have done to fix your hurdle, not what you cannot do - accept that your Dad needs his sleep.

So what's in your plans, and what have you done?

2. Sidekick

Sidekick Mezzo Piano User

Apr 14, 2011
    London UK
    I have to say that I think that Rowuk has been a bit too direct here. He might well be right in the thrust of what he is saying, but here we have (what I assume to be) a younger player - still at school probably, who has asked for some help in working out what to do next. Is saying to him - "You work it out", really the most helpful advice?
    I don't want to get into a big arguement or anything, but give him a break, he wants to play.

3. Msen

Msen Piano User

Dec 28, 2011
    I live in the Horn
    That's so true. If someone wants to do something he/she will find a way. Someone also mentioned practicing in the car, that's a good idea. Playing the trumpet is very demanding in all aspects. My advise

No mute
    Try to find a place to practice, there is one
    Don't be discouraged from the difficulties that will show up(finding a place to practice is one of them when you are playing brass)
    Don't stop playing the trumpet, it's a wonderful instrument, plus the ladies like it :)

4. bumblebee

bumblebee Fortissimo User

Jan 21, 2010
    Great Southern Land
    Do you attend school? If so maybe you can go in early, or stay back a bit, and play there. Or at lunchtime.

--bumblebee

5. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    A closet full of winter coats with the door closed and play softly (ppp) if possible. Or a hose trumpet for the car would work your lips, brain, and lungs.

6. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    T-Money, besides the open band hall on Wednesdays, what solutions have you found so far?

7. Pinstriper

Pinstriper Mezzo Forte User

Nov 26, 2013
    Portlandia
    Thinking on this some more. The public libraries in my hometown had small soundproof rooms for listening to music, or practice. This day and age I expect those are all gone - too much badness can happen in such a room. But still worth asking around. Check nearby college and community colleges as well. There may be practice rooms available to the public, maybe with priority hours given to campus students.

OP doesn't sound like he has a teacher, other than the school band director. But I bet he'd know. I bet local music stores know of space. They may even have their own space, though they probably reserve them for lessons given through the store, or for people wanting to try out an instrument before purchase. Still worth talking to them. Catch the right store on the right day, an owner may bend his rule for a polite and enthusiastic youth. May be looking for someone to sweep floors and break down cardboard boxes part time, too ! An hour's work for an hour's practice time wouldn't be a bad deal all around.

8. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    I agree with you 100%. I am always "too" direct.

I have a simple question however: what is so bad about the truth? Who knows that she/he REALLY wants to play?

You see, I have a well documented approach to what finds its way onto the internet. Why people post is VERY obvious most of the time and normally has nothing to do with the actual words used. Reading the original post:

It is summer vacation so if they REALLY want to play and his dad sleeps 10 hours, there is still time left - early or late before we disturb the neighbors!

Not touching the trumpet for 5 days? Hmm. What do motivated school kids do with their time if trumpet is out of the question.

I don't want to blow this out of proportion, but the best lesson that I ever had was from a teacher that did not want to hear why I wasn't prepared. In life there are no excuses. There are only challenges to be met and overcome. That is what I expect from trumpeters. Want to play a loud instrument? GET AN ATTITUDE.

In case no one has noticed, feelgood does not work because nothing gets done when we waste time on "impressions" instead of solutions.

9. Pinstriper

Pinstriper Mezzo Forte User

Nov 26, 2013
    Portlandia
    Learning this life lesson could be more valuable to him than anything trumpet he picks up from this forum. If...

10. Sidekick

Sidekick Mezzo Piano User

Apr 14, 2011
    London UK
    rowuk... well explained and fair enough.

I particularly like "Want to play a loud instrument? GET AN ATTITUDE".

Words to live by.