Practise room

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Dreads, Aug 11, 2010.

1. Dreads

Dreads New Friend

Jun 9, 2010
    My usual practise room is in my garage, my battered, falling apart garage. Whenever I play in there I get this UGLY and airy sound that I don't get when I play in other rooms/bedroom or outside. The roof is made out of very old slate like material and is literally just falling apart, there are lots of old carpets and cupboards against the walls. It is a pretty large room, roof is pretty low. The question is, could all of this really effect my sound and playing quality? :(

2. keehun

keehun Piano User

Feb 4, 2010
    Minnesota
    Maybe in that room. As long as you keep your ears open and mind focused, I don't think it'll hurt your development. Like you said yourself, the airy sound is absent in other rooms.

My band directors tell me that if I sound great in a tiny practice room, I'll sound even better on stage/band room. I'm not sure if there's much truth to that but the point is that I should always strive for the best in any condition.

3. gbdeamer

gbdeamer Forte User

Oct 16, 2008

The "problem" could be something simple like you're playing too loud to try to fill up the room. Maybe try sitting closer to a wall so you'll get more feedback...

4. Dreads

Dreads New Friend

Jun 9, 2010
    Thanks for the reply man. yeah guess if I practise in this room, I'll sound alot better in decent rooms. Just puts me down most of the time.

5. fraserhutch

fraserhutch Mezzo Piano User

Jan 23, 2004
    Novato, CA, USA
    Absolutely, room acoustics play a huge role in the personal feedback of our horn sound.

6. lakerjazz

lakerjazz Mezzo Piano User

Oct 10, 2006
    I agree with fraserhutch- Certain rooms give us bad feedback. I think that as long as you project with a clear sound out in a hall, you're doing fine.

7. Dreads

Dreads New Friend

Jun 9, 2010
    It usually makes me want to practise outside, hence why I made the post about whether its bad to practise outside :D

8. fraserhutch

fraserhutch Mezzo Piano User

Jan 23, 2004
    Novato, CA, USA
    It's not necessarily BAD to practice outside, but the lack of reverberant surfaces will likely make you want to overblow.

9. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    I disagree with the premise in favor of small or not so good rooms. We are not just training our faces, rather the complete sound of the instrument as it projects into the room. For this to work, the first reflections must be >10 milliseconds away from the original sound otherwize our brains can't sort the difference out. Double that is a good place to start. The speed of sound is 1,125 ft/s. 10 milliseconds would be about 11 feet as the smallest dimension (floor to ceiling). the best ratio for minimal coloration of the sound is the golden ratio which is 1 to 1.6. The resonant modes do not reinforce one another with this.

10. dlewis

dlewis Piano User

Nov 22, 2006
    RANDALLSTOWN MARYLAND
    Rowuk you are making me feel dumb. I really enjoy your well thought comments.