Practise room

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Dreads, Aug 11, 2010.

1. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    No reason to feel dumb. You probably have more of a LIFE outside of the trumpet than I do. That is worth quite a bit!

2. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    I believe there is a lot of input in practice rooms by what you see as much as what you hear. Honestly, I just couldn't perform well in a dingy place. As of breakfast yesterday, I've been offered the FREE use of a large 2nd floor walk-up meeting room from 6 PM to midnite. The main floor contains an almost retired lawyer's office, a state office, and a beauty salon. It is this lawyer that owns the building. All that is upstairs are 12 folding chairs and 2 six foot folding tables. Oh yes, there is also a unisex restroom. Would work for me. Across alleyway and fronting main street is town police station and town offices. Just cops coming and going in the evening. Wow! Now, I've got to keep my health and dental recovery on track.

3. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Unisex means the guys have to sit down when peeing too! :shhh:

4. RichJ

RichJ Piano User

Jan 16, 2008
    Northern Virginia
    I had a shared unisex bathroom in my college dorm. The girls put up a sign "We aim to please. You aim too please."

Anyhow, on the topic here, I vastly prefer practicing in the largest room I can find, so long as it isn't "live." If I can get good feedback in a large, somewhat dead room, then playing anywhere like a normal performance space just means backing off a bit. The worst is to practice in a place that makes you sound great and then finding yourself in a dead performance space.

I remember I had a quintet concert of all new music where all of the rehearsals were in a very live band room. The final performance was in a cable TV studio (in front of an audience, plus it was broadcast regionally) that was the deadest place I've ever been in my life. Not one my finer performances...

5. Alex_C

Alex_C Piano User

May 30, 2010
    Gilroy, California
    I practice in the falling-apart (I've been doing a LOT of repairs) trailer I live in, I can also practice outside, sit in the nice cool goose pen I'm turning into a bicycle workshop, or sit in a shipping container, or in this new building we just got, if I want that "gym" sound.

Other places a person could practice: Parks, college band practice rooms (if no one else is using them).

6. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    This offer is contingent on my teaching all the instruments. This is top floor (2nd floor) of 100 year (plus) old building with real plaster walls and 14 foot ceiling. There are 6 9' high windows facing the back and only 3 6' high windows facing the main street all retrofited with thermal windows. Under each of these windows is Mitsubishi combination HVAC unit. There is a back set of steps.

Availability is only in evenings and weekends and from time to time when a meeting is held.

I can make no architectural modifications, vis no secure storage is available. I do regret that I couldn't presently evaluate the sound characteristics, but IME such will be much on the upside from what I now have available otherwise. I haven't the floor space measured, but I'll estimate 40' x 60' +-. Really a "dream" to most of us!

Healthwise, I presently cannot commit but I don't believe the offer will evaporate within the coming year.

Last edited: Aug 15, 2010
  7. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    The deadest places I've known are the "studios" offered for lessons by some music stores. Another is broadcast studios. Of the latter, if you want to sound good in broadcast, you'll broadcast from your CD and lip synch the visual.