Practise Rooms

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Bloomin Untidy Musician, Jan 12, 2009.

1. bockhaus

bockhaus Pianissimo User

May 11, 2008
    WI
    Sitting in a graveyard after dark in rural Kentucky.

2. bagmangood

bagmangood Forte User

The only place in my house with a mirror are the bathrooms, so if i want to check something, I play a bit in the bathroom...
    I've never done this, but I think I remember there was an environmental type group that hiked with cellos on their backs and played wherever they went...

3. emolina82

emolina82 New Friend

Sep 19, 2008
    Rowlett, Tx
    I'm a projectionist at a movie theater so I do most of my practicing upstairs in the booth. There isn't a ceiling and we have cement floors so the acoustics are good to a little on the loud side. I do most of my practicing when we are close but sometimes I do it when we are running film so if you are watching a movie and think you are hearing a trumpet, that's probably me.

4. Bachstul

Bachstul Mezzo Forte User

Jan 25, 2009
    Hey! You could play along with the movie score, nobody would know!:lol:

Any lake is a great place, as long as it's not too windy. It swallows up the big volume mass you thought you had when you practiced in the house, and preps you for large venues and outdoor ampatheatres.

Last edited: Feb 16, 2009
  5. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    in the car, with an 8 foot piece of 1/2" plastic tubing with a bell on the end. It was in C major and my first natural trumpet. I made cassettes with all of the concertos that I could find. I had a wicked lip trill as I was driving about 50,000 miles a year.

6. TrumpetPower

TrumpetPower New Friend

Jan 23, 2009
    Virginia Beach, VA
    I bring my mouthpiece with me everywhere I go, and I am always pulling it out and playing. Whether at work or on the road. As for actual practice with my horn, I tend to just stay in my room -- call me boring if you want ;)

7. operagost

operagost Forte User

Jan 25, 2009
    Spring City, PA, USA
    LOL. My dad built a similar trumpet over his last few months on the job until he retired. I can't remember whether he used PVC or copper plumbing.

My most unusual was the stairwell at Mercer County College in NJ while I was waiting for my ride home after practice with the community band.

Last edited: Feb 17, 2009
  8. Sturmbill

Sturmbill Pianissimo User

Feb 11, 2004
    Virginia
    Under the arch of the Natural Bridge in Virginia. looking at George Washington's signature on the rock.

Bill

9. xxdkthxx

xxdkthxx New Friend

Feb 17, 2009
    Lafayette Indiana
    in the bathroom.......

10. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    that is where I wrote "dear John" letters........

In the bathroom one can play like crap, and conveniently dispose of the evidence!