Practise Rooms

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Bloomin Untidy Musician, Jan 12, 2009.

1. Bachstul

Bachstul Mezzo Forte User

Jan 25, 2009
    When you buzz in a piece, it is best to attach it to at least a four foot length hose, like ROWUK does. It provides air resistance substitute for the lack of a trumpet. Without, you're somewhat training yourself anew without that subtle back pressure from a horn.

Also, watch for cops when buzzing while driving. I've heard of one who was pulled over doing this. The officer thought he was smokin' a "little pipe".

2. jazz9

jazz9 Piano User

Dec 5, 2007
    Chilhowie, VA
    In the bathroom one can play like crap, and conveniently dispose of the evidence!
    Rowuk

:D haha that was a good one.

Sturmville, I wonder if you really did that. Was it pretty cool? I just know there is sometimes a lot of people coming in and out of there on that little walkway up to the bridge.

I've practiced in the bathroom as well, and I'm beginning to think maybe it's not all too weird....

3. veery715

veery715 Utimate User

Mar 6, 2007
    Ithaca NY
    I work in a 6 story mental health clinic. I have practiced:

In the basement "mechanical" room amid sprinkler plumbing, electrical panels, and telephone switches, and one day a social worker pulled me aside and said clients in her 12:30 group thought they were hearing things.

On the roof. The crows flew away.

In the Boardroom with the lights off, huge, overlooking the city at night. Very nice but the boss thought I was nuts (and I guess he should know).

and on my back porch, where there is no neighbor close enough to disturb.
    veery (am I disturbing or just disturbed?)

4. Sturmbill

Sturmbill Pianissimo User

Feb 11, 2004
    Virginia
    Jazz9,

Oh, yeah, I did it! Sure I got strange looks, but that's par for the course, right?

JMU used to provide music for the annual Easter Sunrise Service there at the bridge, and we went down the day before to rehearse. We were usually finished by 4 or 5 in the afternoon, so there was time on the way back to stop and play a while.

The little tunnel under Rt. 11 between the hotel and the Visitor's Center had great resonance, too!

Bill

5. Bertman

Bertman New Friend

Feb 8, 2009
    Norwich, UK
    I've thought about doing practice (with slient brass mute or something) on my public bus to and from school but I haven't had the balls yet.

Do you think you can get away with something like that?