Practise transposition you probably will never use?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by _TrumpeT_, Jul 9, 2006.

1. _TrumpeT_

_TrumpeT_ Piano User

Apr 26, 2006
    Just wondering, do you practise transposition you will probably never use like major seventh up, minor seventh down, etc?

2. trumpetnick

trumpetnick Fortissimo User

Nov 16, 2005
    Vidin, Bulgaria
    I have never did so, except some sightreading exercises I did when was still in college. I can imagine though, that pro jazz musician may practice transposing patterns and phrases in all keys...
    Any jazz trumpeters around?

Nick

3. davidjohnson

davidjohnson Piano User

Nov 2, 2003
    arkansas
    sure. just imagine how easy everything else will be after that! of course, you could just think down a step and take it up an octave, or read it in bass clef and transpose that down a step...or so :lol: .

dj

4. trumpetmike

trumpetmike Forte User

Oct 11, 2004
    Farnham (a place too smal
    Yes

You never know what you might have to do - what is easy on one instrument might become more difficult on another (and you can never be 100% certain of what instrument you will have in your hands)

5. Manny Laureano

Manny Laureano Utimate User

Sep 29, 2004
    USA
    Yes, it's good for you like musical vitamins for your brain. It helps your sightreading like practicing speedreading and then reading at a normal pace.

ML

6. TrentAustin

TrentAustin Fortissimo User

Oct 28, 2003
    Boston, MA
    If you ever play with a vocalist (especially the bad ones) you'll experience weird "transpositions" like this. I know it's not the same as transposing visually but trust me it's just as foreign!

:dontknow:

Best,

T

7. Deecy

Deecy Pianissimo User

Aug 8, 2005
    NYC
    Manny:
    What happened to the flag? And what was that flag? :?:

8. Manny Laureano

Manny Laureano Utimate User

Sep 29, 2004
    USA
    It is the Italian flag; my way of teasing Rogerio since he was rooting for France and I'm rooting for Italy in the soccer finals. I'm not even a soccer fan so, I really don't care but it's just a bit of fun.

ML

9. trpt2345

trpt2345 Mezzo Forte User

May 21, 2006
    Morelia, Mexico

Major seventh up is like A trumpet, 1/2 step down, then up an octave. Minor seventh down is like a major second up, very common. I just worked with a singer who wanted to do Skylark in A! Got a little tricky at the end of the bridge, bit I made it.

Michael McLaughlin

I have made it a rule never to smoke more that one cigar at a time.
    Mark Twain