Prana 1 C trumpet...

Discussion in 'Horns' started by Pedal C, Jan 24, 2005.

1. Pedal C

Pedal C Mezzo Forte User

Jan 24, 2005
    Hello Mr. Laureano...

First, it's very cool that you choose to spend some of your time responding to this forum!

I was wondering what you thought of that new Monette C trumpet you're playing in those clips on the Monette website? Not that this should influence your answer in any way, but I ordered one of those last May and I should be recieving it in a few weeks! I'm (obviously) very excited! I'd love to hear what you thought. Ironically, you've played the prototype Prana 1 and I haven't! Dave hadn't made it yet when I was at the shop, but after trying some different things, he said that was the horn for me. I imagine you can relate to taking Dave's word about choosing a horn!

By the way, when I showed those Monette video clips to a non-musician friend, she said, "Wow! Will you sound like that?" Ohh if only...

Jason.

2. Manny Laureano

Manny Laureano Utimate User

Sep 29, 2004
    USA
    "I was wondering what you thought of that new Monette C trumpet you're playing in those clips on the Monette website?"

Dear PT,

I wish I owned one! The horn I'm playing in that clip is a prototype and, alas, I had to give it back. It was fabulous.

The difference between the STC-1 Prana that I currently own and that the Prana 1 that I'm upgrading to has to do with sound shape and response. The Prana 1 has a broader shape than the STC-1. Both horns are beautiful. The intonation is stellar in both but the most noticeable thing about each horn is the high register. I feel like a kid again, wanting to pick up my horn and play licks with high notes just because it's fun!

I've played Dave's horns in the past because the intonation has been so much easier than other horns, the sound more stable. There's no annoying "Zzt, zzt" around the core of the sound. Once upon a time I was into that but I'm simply not anymore. It's what most people describe as part of the traditional trumpet sound. I know I used to.

I've had opportunity to play many of the horns that 99% of the trumpet-playing world are excited about. It's still the traditional sound I'm not into anymore. I've had opportunity to play the Monette "clones" as well. None of them have the qualities of the real thing. They just feel stiff and dull to me. What can I say?

I honestly don't know how he does it. These concepts just keep coming up, challenging a lot of conventional thought. The Prana is an absolute joy to play and I really didn't think he was going to be able to improve on his previous mouthpieces and horns. I was plenty happy on my 937 C but now I'm spoiled again! Well, cars, change and improve, computers change and improve... I guess trumpets shouldn't be any different.

I'm on the list to get one (Prana 1) very soon and I'll keep you posted.

3. B15M

B15M Forte User

Dec 30, 2003
    Monroe Ct.
    I can tell you that I play on that trumpet every day and I love it.

4. Pedal C

Pedal C Mezzo Forte User

Jan 24, 2005
    Hey, thanks Manny! I'm glad to hear you liked it and I can't wait for mine...I'll let you know what I think when it comes in.

Jason.