prana horns

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by trumpetpat, Feb 13, 2006.

1. trumpetpat

trumpetpat Pianissimo User

Nov 17, 2005
    Maine
    just out of curiousity, what is so special about prana mouthpieces and horns? i know about the qualities they give the player but what is different about them physically that makes them so special?? anyone have any clue?

2. Jimi Michiel

Jimi Michiel Forte User

Mar 22, 2005
    Boston
    Monette uses trade secrets instead of copyrights, so you probably won't get much officially about what exactly is different. For mouthpieces, generally, the hole is a little bigger, and the metal is paper thin at the end of the shank. I would imagine that there might also be a difference in the metal, but thats just pure speculation. To be honest though, the only thing that REALLY matters is how much better they play than almost every other mouthpiece out there.
    -Jimi

3. trumpetpat

Nov 17, 2005
    Maine
    so you think prana's are as good as they say they are??

4. Jimi Michiel

Jimi Michiel Forte User

Mar 22, 2005
    Boston
    I haven't played the horns, but when "they"=Wynton, Maynard, Schlueter and Manny, I'm inclined to give them the benefit of the doubt.

5. Pedal C

Pedal C Mezzo Forte User

Jan 24, 2005
    I'd don't know exactly what's different, but the metal seems softer (you can put a little flat spot on it really easily if you're not careful), the shank is really thin, the throat is big and the backbore is probably different. As for the horns, I think the metal and the bell flair is a little different than the 'standard' horns. Other stuff too, I'm sure. It's really easy to change the sound color and they are very flexible musically, if that makes any sense. My Prana 1 C is definately the best sounding, easiest to play instrument I've ever had. Anyway, try one out if you ever get the chance!

Jason.

6. JazzBird

JazzBird New Friend

Sep 15, 2005
    I have a Prana 993 (P3) ...and I can tell you that the brass used is definitely softer than the "standard" Monette horns and softer than probably any horn out there. So great care is required...especially if you use mutes...I have slightly (very slightly) bulged out the bell from occasional mute use..I can't physicaly see that...but when I run my hand over the area on the bell I can feel that I have...Oh well...still plays great. :-) Compared to other horns I have owned and played...I get the most resonant sound I have ever had with a Prana horn.

7. trumpetpat

Nov 17, 2005
    Maine
    do you think the P993 would be something you would use in an orchestra setting?? maybe not you specifically but could you see someone using that specific model for orchestral music to?

8. JazzBird

JazzBird New Friend

Sep 15, 2005
    You know I am not sure about orchestra (classical)...I think you could for big band jazz. I have never played in orchestras (only small group jazz). I am sure others on this forum will give a better perspective on that.

9. Pedal C

Pedal C Mezzo Forte User

Jan 24, 2005
    My teacher has the Prana 3 Bb (that's what they call the Prana 993 Bb now, for some reason) and I know he'd use it in the orchestra if Bb trumpet was needed. I have an older 937 Bb and I've used it in orchestra with no problem. It's been my main horn for about a year now and I've never felt like it was wrong for any particular situation.

10. loweredsixth

loweredsixth Pianissimo User

Mar 11, 2005
    Fresno, California, USA
    In their latest news letter they talk about the PRANA horns having a new/different leadpipe.