Prana, Slap mouthpieces

Discussion in 'Mouthpieces / Mutes / Other' started by Jimi Michiel, Jan 24, 2006.

1. Jimi Michiel

Jimi Michiel Forte User

Mar 22, 2005
    Boston
    I apoligize to everyone who was enjoying the hijinks of the other thread by starting a substantive conversation....

Alex,
    This might even seem more confusing, but my understanding is that the "slap" mouthpiece was made before Manny visited the shop. Dave and Manny worked on another yet-to-be-named mouthpiece. When I went out to the shop I tried all three side-by-side. Of course the C12 felt more comfortable because I was used to it, but the Slap mouthpiece ended up being my favorite after several hours of getting used to it. I couldn't tell you the exact differences between the three, just that the Slap got me closest to the sound I'm looking for. This is all horribly confusing... They are doing much of their design by computer now, so it is easier for them to mix and match different variables, resulting in an incredible number of custom mouthpieces floating around (hence this conversation).
    -Jimi

2. Alex Yates

Alex Yates Forte User

Aug 11, 2005
    Atlanta, GA
    Ah.....I see. To easily untangle the confusion......

Manny's TBD mouthpiece is a C1-4S Version 6 (it says above his picture on Dave's site in the NEWS section). It is designed using a C1-4 blank. This mouthpiece is what is being determined as being the perfect mate to the Prana C 1 trumpet - which is what Manny is playing now and of which I will have my own version in my hot little hands sometime around September. I am pretty sure I will end up with this model mouthpiece or something very close. Since you play Monette equipment, I can see why you would choose this mouthpiece over the C12. Does the diameter feel any smaller on the face? That is my biggest concern. I don't want to go smaller there. Did you feel a big difference or mainly hear a big difference? Thank you so much for the enlightenment.

3. tpter1

tpter1 Forte User

Jan 12, 2005
    Northern New York
    So...is the slap going to be made available for non-Monette trumpets or in a weight specifically matched to his equipment only? (I am tempted by the "darkside"...)

4. Alex Yates

Alex Yates Forte User

Aug 11, 2005
    Atlanta, GA
    Glenn, I don't know for certain. but I am sure whatever technology Dave Monette makes available in his mouthpieces, he will make sure they are available for all trumpets, as it is now. He will probably have blanks ready to go and then make adjustments depending on what trumpet someone is using. The Pranas are made to order, I believe. Again, this is all speculation and just from what I remember reading/hearing about the process. I am sure those who play his horns already will have more insight. His website probably has a lot of this info on it as well.

5. Jimi Michiel

Jimi Michiel Forte User

Mar 22, 2005
    Boston
    I can't really feel any huge change as far as the diameter is concerned, most of the difference was in response and and sound. For example, I played through the second trumpet solo from Haydn 100 (the one that sort of sounds like Mahler 5, only a step lower...) a bunch of times on each mouthpiece. The slap provided the most crispness on the attacks, which is what I'm trying to go for.

tpter1-
    I'm pretty sure that you can get all the different mp sizes, including the "Slap" in an STC1 weight for regular instruments. The slap mouthpiece I have is an STC1 that I use on an instrument that is essentially half Bach, half Monette (Bach body, Monette leadpipe and other parts). When they get around to it, they're going to send me a Slap version in the 2 and 3 weight to see witch one I like with my heavier Monette. And after that, I'm deleting them from my address book, ripping up my credit cards and locking myself in the practice room until I'm worthy enough to be playing such good equipment :D
    -Jimi

6. PhatmonB6

PhatmonB6 Mezzo Piano User

Jan 16, 2005
    Minnesota
    My niece and I were wondering what the word Slap defines as it pertains to the Monette mpce. :dontknow:

7. mrfabulous963

mrfabulous963 Piano User

Nov 26, 2005
    thanks for removing the good from the bad going on in the Lounge, you are one cool dude :cool: for doing that

8. R.A.S.

R.A.S. Pianissimo User

Oct 13, 2004
    Woodbury, Minnesota
    I must chime in, not that I understand how Monette makes these PRANAs, but just because I bought one this morning and I can share at least my initial experience with my new B1-5 (I'm used to a B1-5M STC1):

Endurance - I usually last about an hour (today, just over 2 1/2)
    Range - easier, as long as I back off and just let the air move
    Center of Pitch - seems more consistent in all registers
    Tonguing Response - much quicker, especially at soft volume
    Dynamics - better control
    Intonation - the sharp high F and above are now right on the pitch
    Embouchure - I can use the same setting in all registers

On their website Monette says that, "To date, every Monette instrument client we have had try a Prana loved it from the first few notes!"
    After one day I can agree. This mouthpiece isn't just a bunch of hype!

OK. This is only day one. I'll post more as the honeymoon turns into normal day-to-day. Something makes me expect that this is only the start of better things. I really enjoyed making music today!

9. mrfabulous963

mrfabulous963 Piano User

Nov 26, 2005
    Might have To Pick One Of These Up And Replace My Trusty Lineup Of Marcinkiewicz Pieces, but it migh break the bank.....6 different pieces