praticing while sick

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Rain, Dec 24, 2007.

1. Rain

Rain New Friend

Nov 16, 2007
    Kingston, TN
    I have aditions mid january, I just got VERY VERY sick, I think I have broncitis or something, I'm runing a fever and can bearly breath my lungs are so bad, I coughign more than my grandma! BUT I DO have auditions, I have been practicing anyway because of this, my sound is BAD and I can't practice as long as when I'm in good health, but then my mom ( who knows NOGHTING about music or about my passion for it) told me I shouldn't pratice because it will make me more sick because I'm putting more stress on my lungs and I wont get better untill I stop practicing, nether the less whether she understands my passion or not she knows how I am and siad it was up to me but shes just trying to give me some good advise, well I figure I would get a second opinioun, so here it is guys I'm here for a second or a third or forth etc. opinioun . Thanks

Rain:D

2. derekkress

derekkress Pianissimo User

Oct 8, 2007
    Montreal Qc Canada
    It sounds like your sick!SO REST!!! Instead do lots of listening and thinking. You can mentally prepare yourself too! You need your physical self to play well so use common sense.Lots of rest, liquids and a trip to the doctor if your condition is getting serious.Take care!

3. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    If you are having what is called a "productive cough" and hacking up ugly colored stuff--see your Doctor pronto! Antibiotics can have you feeling 100% better overnight, and fit to play in a week or so.

Get well soon!

4. Lezwoymn

Lezwoymn Pianissimo User

Oct 11, 2007
    Long Island, NY USA
    I'd say rest when you can. If you have an audition and u'r still sick and u'r playing would be affected, I'd explain it to them and hope they understand. You could still practice some but give yourself rest and time for your body to heal.

5. pipedope

pipedope Pianissimo User

Sep 2, 2007
    It is a good idea to practice gently and softly when you are sick.
    It can pay to take a day or two off completely.

Drink LOTS of water and rest as much as you can.

6. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Playing when you are sick will slow getting well down appreciably. You can do the pencil trick to keep the chop strength up and the Doc Sevrinsen approach of practicing with the valves without blowing in the horn to keep your finger chops up. I would not play with bronchitis - audition or not. See a doctor, do what they say. Do not try to play hero. Pneumonia or double pneumonia is much less fun!

7. Pedal C

Pedal C Mezzo Forte User

Jan 24, 2005
    If you're so sick that you can't play well, the practicing you're forcing yourself to do is only teaching yourself bad habits. Lay off until you feel like you can play relatively normally. Listen to what you're playing and finger alone with the horn and you'll have an easier time than if you're trying to overcome days of bad playing. I had strep throat about a week and a half before my masters recital and my throat was so sore for two or three days I could hardly play. I did the one performance I had to do and and then rested to get better. When I started playing again, I was fine and didn't really feel any ill effects. I think being out of shape after a short layoff is partly mental, so keep your mind on how you want to sound and you'll be fine!

8. BergeronWannabe

BergeronWannabe Piano User

Feb 6, 2007
    By the way, if you do play- remember to clean your mouthpiece and horn.
    Get rid of all those germs! :cool:

9. Keegan Katastrofee

Keegan Katastrofee New Friend

Dec 26, 2007
    Illinois
    Do alot of free buzzing

10. Majestic1

Majestic1 New Friend

Dec 12, 2007
    rowuk has the best advice IMO; however, I would like to add one more thing of which you already disagreed with in my other post about VM.

When you dam up blood in your heart this means you are inhibiting blood circulation throughout your whole body thus opening yourself up to sickness. If you are already sick then you need to increase your circulation by laying off your horn and you will get well sooner.