Pre-1910 trumpet method books

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by gsmonks, Feb 28, 2016.

1. gsmonks

gsmonks Piano User

Does anyone out there know what method books trumpet players used before 1910?

I ask because the Bb trumpet wasn't around prior, and the low F horn was the one used in symphonies. They had method books, books of etudes, etc., but aside from the music, I've never come across any.

Or is someone out there hoarding?

2. Dennis78

Dennis78 Fortissimo User

Feb 1, 2015
    Cincinnati
    Plenty of Bb prior to 1910. Are you looking for method books for the F horn? I'd say much of Bb method then was geared toward cornet because people hated the sound of the new trumpets. I'm sure Arbans methods were employed then as they are now

3. gsmonks

gsmonks Piano User

The Perinet-valve trumpet as a production-model instrument wasn't around prior to 1910. The production models prior to 1910 were European rotary-valve horns.

4. gsmonks

gsmonks Piano User

Yes, the Arbans was around back then. It's books of etudes and studies for the low F trumpet I'm looking for.

5. Bochawa!!!

Bochawa!!! Forte User

Nov 4, 2007
    Canada
  6. kinetic711

kinetic711 Piano User

Sep 15, 2014
    North Eastern Ont, Canada
  7. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    All I can add to the statement of which came first, the cornet or trumpet is that Sousa composed for and used only cornets. Such would bring us forward to 1931 when he gave up his 2nd commercial band due to his health. He died in 1932.

8. gsmonks

gsmonks Piano User

Well, that is a heap o' news! I go mainly by what we had so far in the Horn-u-copia photographic collection. The earliest production-model Perinet trumpets that were turning up were all 1910. I am aware that there are pre-1910 Perinet trumpets, but all those I'd seen to date were pretty much non-production one-off's that were made for particular customers.

Were symphonic trumpet-players cornet-players first? I have no idea if that's true or not. If the interweb was around back when I was a kid, there would be easy answers to all these questions because the old-timers who knew for sure were still around at the time.

What tends to confuse the issue is that things were different in Europe from North America. For example, my first trumpet teacher was educated at the Paris Conservatoire, and had a European-style collection of instruments and body of knowledge. At Douglas College back in the early 70's, Len Whitely had a European-made (can't remember the doggone make) Eb soprano trumpet with rotary valves. Absolutely gorgeous horn. Plus a lot of North American guys used to go to Europe to round out their educations as players.

Okay, the term "trompette a pistons" in reference to a Bb trumpet is entirely new to me in terms of the time-frame. I'll have to purchase a copy.

We do live and learn.

9. BrassBandMajor

BrassBandMajor Fortissimo User

Jan 13, 2015
    London
    Learnin all the time ain't it gsmonks?

10. gsmonks

gsmonks Piano User

It seems to get harder as I get older. I think my brain is starting to atrophy. The other day I caught myself putting the coffee pot in the refrigerator. Ack!

Is that the Yamaha piccolo as your avatar? I haven't seen one first-hand yet.