Pre-rehearsal preparation

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by tpter1, Jan 27, 2005.

1. tpter1

tpter1 Forte User

Jan 12, 2005
    Northern New York
    Manny- Our next wind ensemble concert is going to consist of all dance music. Not really sure of specific works yet; but I want to prepare myself a little before the music arrives. Since it's dance, I'm certain it will be much lighter than our usual fare. What can I practice to lighten my style a little so I don't sound like a grizzly in a tu-tu? Do you modify your articulation syllable when you have to play lighter music?

2. Manny Laureano

Manny Laureano Utimate User

Sep 29, 2004
    USA
    Hmmm...

Define "dance".

That can mean many things in a musical context. I need a little more info.

ML

3. tpter1

tpter1 Forte User

Jan 12, 2005
    Northern New York
    Well, I would imagine at least one of Strauss's waltzes (I'm guessing; I don't really know what the program has on it yet), possibly some settings of folk dances (both in contemporary settings like Grainger or Bartok, and more traditional). I was told it would be lighter than usual; usual includes things from Enigma Variations to Bach transcriptions. I imagine a program like the Vienna Phil does at New Year's.

I really want to nail this and prepare myself enough in advance of the parts' arrival.

4. Manny Laureano

Sep 29, 2004
    USA
    Dear Tpter1,

Okay, here's what I'm getting at:

A program such as you described is not prepared for in technical way with concern geared to tongue strength and placement. It is done by doing.

Get out any number of duet books, call a buddy and find duets that are dance-like. That is, waltzes, polkas, two steps, foxtrots, and the like. It is only through this type of thing that you prepare yourself to be in the proper character.

Co you know or listen to any Fritz Kreisler encore pieces like Liebesfreud, Schon Rosmarin, or Liebesleid? Those are the utmost in Viennese gems that we need to listen to. They also happen to be waltzes.

Listen, play, listen ,play, etc.

Get busy, my friend.

ML

5. Bear

Bear Forte User

Apr 30, 2004
    USA
    GRrrr, lol! I like my tu-tu thank you very much!

6. tpter1

tpter1 Forte User

Jan 12, 2005
    Northern New York
    Manny-Thanks. I'm on it. To iTunes I go, in search of the great waltzes!

BTW- Tried your Posthorn suggestion this am. What a liberating way to think of the piece! It was actually so much easier to play and made more sense musically. Thanks again.

ROAR beep-beep ROAR beep-beep :D

7. Manny Laureano

Sep 29, 2004
    USA
    TM vibe... TM vibe... kin ya feel it, ladies and gentlemen, kin ya feeeel it?
    Say yes!! Say "yes" to the TM vibe!

Yer-a gittin' better, yer-a gittin' stronger... it's the TM VIBE!

Hey, Wilmer... d'ya think I did one too many gigs with Reverend Ike?

By the way, is he still around?

ML

8. wiseone2

wiseone2 Artitst in Residence Staff Member

Nov 19, 2003
    Brooklyn,NY
    I will not send a dollar for a blessing :D
    Reverend Ike is still around, but no symphonies these days.
    Wilmer