Pre-Screening Troubles

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by asoferr, Oct 30, 2015.

1. asoferr

asoferr New Friend

Oct 8, 2015
    Hello,
    I am currently 16 years old and I've been playing the trumpet for about 6 years now and I fell in love with it from the moment I picked up the horn. I am definitely going to pursue a career in trumpet playing and in classical music. I am currently trying to audition for some summer festivals and concerto competitions. But I have a problem; the moment I turn on the camera to record myself to send in the video samples, I start making mistakes that I never make when the camera is off. Missing notes, rushing, poor intonation, etc. But the second I turn the camera off, I am fine. I've come to the conclusion that for some reason, I am intimidated by the "audience" (being the camera) and let my nerves get to me. Anybody out there with this problem? Know of any solutions? Suggestions? Please help! Thank you!

2. Clarkvinmazz

Clarkvinmazz Forte User

May 11, 2013
    Oberlin, Ohio
    Try doing it with just a reccording device. I always uses them and it's a lot less stressful than being in front of a camera. Most, if not all music festivals should accept just audio. Also, which festivals? I've auditione and gotten into most of the bigger high school ones on the east coast, I might be able to help.

3. TrumpetMD

TrumpetMD Fortissimo User

Oct 22, 2008
    Maryland
    Welcome to TM asoferr.

What you're describing is probably very common. Learning to play in front of others (even a camera) is hard to do. Learning to play when when it really counts takes practice. I record myself all time, both when I practice and when I perform. For me, it's a good learning tool. For you, if you record yourself more often, it may help to desensitize you, and help you to relax.

Mike

4. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    I think your premise is absolutely inaccurate. The reason that you miss things, have timing problems and intonation issues is because YOU are NOT secure rhythmically, with intonation or chop use. Your breathing is for sure not "habit" rather chance. I think if you carefully analysed your "standard" playing, you would find exactly the same problems, maybe not as "serious" in the first view but still far away from good.

It is PURE BS to blame having an audience. YOU need to get the basics down BEFORE turning the camera on.

Nerves manifest themselves in different ways than simple poor habits. I suggest buying the Clarke technical studies and playing them with a metronome. I recommend that you search for my Circle of Breath here at TrumpetMaster. I suggest eliminating excuses and simply start practicing in ways that develop consistency. Long tones, scales, lipslurs: all slowly and accurately.

So I do not believe you and think that you need to get a solid daily routine that you can play from memory: perfectly in tune, in time, in tone.

5. TrumpetMD

TrumpetMD Fortissimo User

Oct 22, 2008
    Maryland
    I agree completely that if you're prepared, this will be less of an issue. But "PURE BS"? Probably not. Being comfortable playing in front of others is a skill in and of itself. That being said, rowuk's insight about being prepared is excellent.

Mike

6. Pinstriper

Pinstriper Mezzo Forte User

Nov 26, 2013
    Portlandia
    Many many moons ago, playing 3rd and 2nd parts in a 64-horn ensemble, I remember being taught "play every note like you have the solo".

Still true today. Become a perfectionist every time you put the horn to your lips. It makes you better, and plus you'll know it. That confidence makes all the difference.

When I'm nervous for a gig, I know in my heart that its because I'm not really solid in my parts. It's different for each song. That lets me know which ones I need to woodshed so I can play them "like a solo".

7. Sethoflagos

Sethoflagos Utimate User

Aug 7, 2013
    Lagos, Nigeria
    This is really the key: turn a negative into a positive.

I never had any problem performing live in front of people, but being recorded? There's something about the permanence of a recording that gives me the willies too. Mike is right. Record yourself as often as possible to get used to it, and then use the recordings to really get to grips with every single detail of your performance that needs to be worked on. And you know what? All that awkward stuff you never really wanted to face up to will have to be addressed. And accepting that you need to address it is more than halfway to a battle won. When you see the tangible improvements in your performance, you'll have a much more positive attitude to the process.

Vulgano Brother likes this.
  8. Peter McNeill

Peter McNeill Utimate User

Jan 30, 2009
    Melbourne Australia
    Do a normal warm-up routine for your practice session, then I would practice as though each practice was a performance. Every mistake you make...stop immediately and repeat that bar (measure) 3 times until you're comfortable. Then continue. Play the whole thing twice without a mistake.

Now you are ready for recording.

Put the camera on - and play. Keep playing as before, stop and repeat if you make a mistake - repeat the bar etc.
    I am sure that you will have a good recording of it in the end - and edit out the first bits.

If you cannot do it, do this same routine for every practice session, and listen to yourself at the end - you will leap forward quickly, and overcome any fear - but I agree with others it, I doubt it is fear - 6 years playing, you know what you should be doing. The recording may help you to identify issues you do not see yourself.

Vulgano Brother likes this.
  9. LaTrompeta

LaTrompeta Forte User

May 3, 2015
    Colorado Springs
    Performance, of course, shows our true colors. Sometimes it is unfortunate, but you have to overcome nerves to be a professional. Good thing about recording is you have as many shots at it as you want...unless you are with an orchestra.

10. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    Most audition tapes are asked to be un-edited, but breaks between excerpts or solos are allowed. I would suggest immersion therapy. Record everything you practice, listen to it (in slow-mo too, if your device and software allow it), and get used to being recorded.

Please keep us posted on your improvement.

Peter McNeill likes this.