Pre-Strike Bach Stradivarius

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by skironald, Dec 6, 2008.

1. skironald

skironald New Friend

Dec 6, 2008
    I am upgrading my son's trumpet from an entry student trumpet to a Bach Stradivarius. I've been told by his instructor to purchase a pre-strike horn. I know that Bach went on strike in 2006. Would any trumpet made prior to 2006 be considered a pre-strike horn?

Thanks for responding,
    Ron

2. Bob Grier

Bob Grier Forte User

May 4, 2007
    Greensboro, NC
    why a Bach? You can find very good ones but what about a Yamaha Xeno or a Schilke or a Kanstal or a Getzen? The Yamaha or Schilke would be my first choice. I assume the teacher is going to play test the horn for you.

3. camelbrass

camelbrass Mezzo Forte User

Nov 5, 2003
    Dubai, UAE
    If memory serves me correctly then anything with a serial number lower than the low 640,000s will have been made prior to the strike.

If your son's teacher has made that a priority then that's what you should do. I agree that it would be handy to take him along with you when trying the trumpet. Has he specified a configuartion that he thinks would be suitable for your son? Strads come in all sorts of variations.

Regards,

Trevor

4. Bonasa

Bonasa Pianissimo User

Feb 9, 2008
    Western New York
    Bob's exactly right.

While the loyalty of Bach players is certainly testimony to the quality of their instruments, there's a very fine line between loyalty and blind loyalty. Bob's right that there's a whole wide world of pro-level horns that are their equal and--to the extent they never endured a period of labor strife that contributed to egregious quality-control problems--their superior.

A pro-level horn is a significant investment. With all due respect to your son's teacher, he ought to be guiding your son toward a pro-level horn that best matches your son's playing abilities and aspirations. That horn just might be a Bach Strad--but it might just as easily be a Yamaha Xeno or a Calicchio or a Kanstul or a Schilke or a Conn Vintage One or any of dozens of other new pro-level horns. And this doesn't even touch the scores of vintage pro-level horns available--many of higher quality than new and often available at half or less the cost.

The only real way to tell is to have your son play as many different horns as possible, preferably in the presence of his teacher, and see which ones work best for him. This process might not only help your son find the ideal horn but might just give his teacher an opportunity to learn something.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2008
  5. TheNigerian

TheNigerian New Friend

Nov 2, 2008
    Akron
    Take him to Dillon in New Jersey if you are close enough. It's better than Christmas there for any trumpet player.

6. TrumpEd

TrumpEd Pianissimo User

Oct 9, 2008
    Texas
    The simple answer to your question is : yes.

Then come opinions, advice, etc:roll:.

7. Puukka

Puukka Pianissimo User

Jan 27, 2005
    Krems an der Donau
    Before the strike (maybe 2006) I saw some awful silver plated Strads. The soldering points were not buffed afterwards and each point looked different (some lacked soldering silver, a lot had too much of it). Cuts from the production, bad buffering before the plating a.s.o. But I also saw, mostly lacquered, perfectly manufactures ones.

So before you buy one, just take a look at the manufacturing quality. The post strike tend to have a better quality control but I also saw some weak points like faulty silver plating.
    Generally I have to confess, that as example Schilke´s quality is much more constant.
    So Kanstul´s.
    Herbert

8. bumblebee

bumblebee Fortissimo User

Jan 21, 2010
    Great Southern Land
    This post- and pre-strike stuff has always confused me. Perhaps export horns are better controlled because I have tried Strads since the 80's through to the present and have never found a bad one, and all were cosmetically perfect.

--bumblebee

9. Mark_Kindy

Mark_Kindy Mezzo Forte User

Jul 11, 2010
    Gainesville, FL
    If you are concerned about the year of production, the Conn site has some serial numbers for Bachs that go through 1994. That was 420000.

But really, you should just try one, see how it plays, try another, see how it plays, etc. There are different qualities to each one that go beyond the year of production.

10. jengstrom

jengstrom Pianissimo User

Oct 17, 2009
    Rochester, NY
    A couple of comments:

1. +1 for Bonasa's post.

2. Although there are many viable options besides Bach, some of those options will have less resale value should you decide to sell later. This means that if you are going to buy new, you might be better with a Bach (or Yamaha, or Schilke, for that matter). On the other hand, if you are going to buy used, you might get a fantastic deal on a "Bachlike" horn built by another maker. Getzens and Kanstuls are both first rate horns. There are others, too.

3. This whole pre-strike/post-strike stuff is confusing. People who have pre-strike horns for sale advertize that as thought it's preferable. Others I know (including a dealer who has a lot of pre-strike stuff in stock) say the post-strike horns are more consistant. Bottom line: play before you buy if you can.

Just my 2 cents.

-John