Pre-Strike Bach Stradivarius

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by skironald, Dec 6, 2008.

1. codyb226

codyb226 Banned

Mar 9, 2011
    Florida, US
    My best guess, that the OP has already got a trumpet and her son may have quit or is still playing. This thread is over 2 years old..........

2. codyb226

codyb226 Banned

Mar 9, 2011
    Florida, US
    I take that back, 3 years.......

3. TrumpetMD

TrumpetMD Fortissimo User

Oct 22, 2008
    Maryland
    The assertion that "pre-strike" horns are better quality is not entirely correct.

There is a general feeling that horns made during the late 1980's through the early 2000's had some quality issues. Not sure how true this is. But this is the belief of some.

In addition, there is a general belief that horns made after the strike under the "True Bach" manufacturing changes are of better quality. These are horns with serial number 646013 or higher made after 2007.

The advice to "try before you buy" is a good one. The advice to consider other brands is also a good idea. Not sure where the OP's son is at. But let's remember that a developing student may not have the ability to tell a good trumpet from a bad one. This may be why his instructor limited his choices. Maybe his instructor can accompany him to try out new trumpets?

Back to the original question ... If you're looking for a Bach, a "True Bach" horn (as opposed to "pre-strike"), IMHO, is a reasonable way to go.

Mike

4. bumblebee

bumblebee Fortissimo User

Jan 21, 2010
    Great Southern Land
    Wow - I was searching for the "7C's" thread when this one came up and I think I must have been tired and didn't notice its age. However, this seems to be an unresolved question in many people's minds, and my own Strad which has serial number 664XXX must be a "post-strike" trumpet is an excellent horn which I bought after playing alongside a bunch of trumpets (mostly Yamaha Xeno models).

--bumblebee

5. TrumpetMD

TrumpetMD Fortissimo User

Oct 22, 2008
    Maryland
    Wouldn't it be nice if TM would warn us before we post to a thread that's 3 years old? :-)

Mike

6. codyb226

codyb226 Banned

Mar 9, 2011
    Florida, US
    That would be nice...