Preferred form of vibrato

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by jazz9, Dec 12, 2007.

1. jazz9

jazz9 Piano User

Dec 5, 2007
    Chilhowie, VA
    What's your preferred form of vibrato? I personally like to create vibrato with my lips, but there are a lot who use their throats or actually shake the trumpet a little bit on sustained notes. Does anyone know if one is any better than another?

2. Dale Proctor

Dale Proctor Utimate User

Jul 20, 2006
    Heart of Dixie
    I prefer lip vibrato, but whatever works......

Remember, a little goes a long way.;-)

3. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    Do you really use your lips, or your jaw when creating a vibrato? There are two forms of vibrato, one of pitch and the other of volume. Trumpeters use pretty much exclusively the pitch variety, and in classical circles the jaw vibrato is preferred. Exceptions to this rule? Heck yeah, tons. Try learning them all (as well as no vibrato--very important!) and use them musically.

Have fun!

4. jazz9

jazz9 Piano User

Dec 5, 2007
    Chilhowie, VA
    I'm pretty sure I use my lips, but I could be using my jaw. I started out with throat vibrato, then sort of naturally moved to lip (maybe jaw).

5. Patric_Bernard

Patric_Bernard Forte User

Oct 25, 2007
    California
    I Use my jaw when i do vibrato... its just seems to work better lol

6. Toobz

Toobz Mezzo Piano User

Feb 5, 2007
    I'm a jaw user on both trumpet and sax.

7. brem

brem Mezzo Forte User

Sep 13, 2007
    Quebec City, QC, Canada
    Depends what effect is desired. Jaw vibrato can't be as aggressive as the vibrato shaking the horn.

Using both. Different situations command different technique.

8. Patric_Bernard

Patric_Bernard Forte User

Oct 25, 2007
    California

True... you cant get that nice jazzy vibrato without shaking the horn a little... it just sounds awesome

9. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    The type of question what is "better" is actually the issue here. It is unfortunate when music gets reduced to "better or worse".

If we are burning with desire, WE WANT IT ALL - regardless of what it is. A technique that we have learned will find its way into our music - hopefully making a statement that is as unique as our personality!

Vibrato comes in many forms: jaw (yah-yah,yah), tongue (taa-ee-aa-ee-aa), shaking the horn and even from the diaphrgm in some cases. Like any other facet of our playing, it needs to be harnessed to become musically viable and that means practice. All forms CAN be usefull in ALL types of music depending on the musical taste expressed by the player.

WE have to practice and how to implement is learned by listening to the masters -. not necessarily only trumpet players!
    Unique vibrato? listen to:
    Maurice André (3 or 4 notes played and you recognise who it is!)
    Hakan Hardenberger
    Bud Herseth (his vibrato changed with age so recordings from the 50s, 60s, 70s, 80s, and 90s are all significant)
    Manny Laureano (Mr. Elegant as far as I am concerned - he took over this position from Gil Johnson in Philadelphia!)
    Chet Baker
    Miles
    Jasha Heifetz- Violin
    Jame Galway - flute
    Yo-Yo Ma - Cello
    and countless others that TMers will add.

Passion+desire=insatiable urge to practice!

Last edited: Dec 13, 2007
  10. Dale Proctor

Dale Proctor Utimate User

Jul 20, 2006
    Heart of Dixie
    Well, I answered lips, since that's how the question was asked, but it really is a jaw vibrato in my case. Creating a vibrato by varying mouthpiece pressure with horn movement has never worked for me (or maybe it's just that I don't like the sound I get doing it).