Pregnancy/Brass Playing

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Harriet, Oct 24, 2006.

1. Harriet

Harriet New Friend

Oct 24, 2006
    Does anyone know or have any experience of playing a brass instrument whilst pregnant. Are there any health risks to the baby and mother? Has there ever been a female professional brass player who has carried on performing whilst pregnant?

2. kadleck

kadleck Artist in Residence Staff Member

Feb 28, 2006
    new york
    Harriet -

I know several french horn players who played through their pregnancies, some right up until the final weeks. These particular women seemed to have no problems.

Tony

3. Lawler Bb

Lawler Bb Piano User

Oct 25, 2003
    Milwaukee, WI
    Megumi Kanda, principal trombone of the Milwaukee Symphony, played well into her pregnancy. She sounded great as always, though she did mention that it was a bit harder to concentrate on the music when the baby is moving!

Eric

4. 40cal

40cal Forte User

Dec 13, 2005
    Minnesota
    Check w/a doctor!

Someone may have a unique set of circumstances surrounding their pregnancy so medical advice should be sought (from a medical doctor of course)

5. Alex Yates

Alex Yates Forte User

Aug 11, 2005
    Atlanta, GA
    Barbara Butler played and performed up until the final weeks of pregnancy with no issues. She was also at an age considered a higher risk pregnancy at the time. If anything, brass playing is good for all of those muscles supporting the baby. Of course, it wouldn't hurt to talk to your doctor about your concerns.

6. Liad Bar-EL

Liad Bar-EL Forte User

Oct 25, 2003
    Jerusalem, Israel
    40Cal gave you good advice. Depending on the age of the person who is pregnant would depend on how much of a risk it would be playing the trumpet. If one is near the time of delivery and has to perform, one might think about wearing an adult diaper in case the water breaks. It might save this person some embarrassment.

An ultra-sound picture could determine if the baby is at risk.....cord around the neck, etc; so, I am sure that a good doctor would be aware of this if the doctor were informed about what the preganant woman wanted to do during pregnancy....such as play the trumpet.

Genes of trumpet players seem to be very special. From the attached picture of a trumpet player, you might consider changing your concerns around and ask the doctor if it is alright for the mother if the unborn child makes his/her utter altar ultra sounds.:D

Liad Bar-EL

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 25, 2006
  7. Jofantioch

Jofantioch New Friend

Mar 17, 2009
    :D I am 4 months pregnant and just practiced. I haven't played in a while, and the ab workout was fantastic. I strongly recommend playing horn while pregnant. :play:

When you are pregnant you are constipated. Playing horn pushes things down and out. It's a great, natural way to be regular. Hurrah!

You need to build your abs for labor and delivery. Far from damaging you, playing your brass instrument will help you get the strength and control for the big day of birth!

If the pregnancy is viable, there is no problem. If your fetus dies, playing will allow your body to expell it sooner. This is sad, but inevitable.

Be well and play your trumpet! Baby's ears develop in week 24, so practice so you'll be good by that time. Only the best for baby.

Suzanne

8. Artemisia

Artemisia Pianissimo User

Jan 24, 2009
    Austria
    Take care that the horn (if it's a baritone horn, a french or a tenor one or a tuba) isn't too close to your womb (vibrations while playing might cause miscarriage). Don't play too long. If your pregnancy is not a risk pregnancy, you can go on playing moderately.

If birth is overdue, a practice session might even be useful to get the birth started.

9. gbdeamer

gbdeamer Forte User

Oct 16, 2008
    I think it's great that you're getting advice here, but PLEASE speak with YOUR doctor for the final word. Print out this thread and discuss it with him/her during your next visit, but don't trust the health of your baby to strangers on the internet. (I'm sure you wouldn't, but it makes me feel better to type it "just in case").

10. sayluvee

sayluvee New Friend

Mar 19, 2009
    Wisconsin
    I played through both my pregnancies - not very hard core at the end - my doctor was like "the better breather you are the easier labor will be". Play it up now - because once the baby is born it gets hard to find the time and energy - I find myself in the garage at 3 in the morning. Everyone is different so if you are concerned talk to your doctor - trust me your paying him enough to answer your questions!