Prepare for chills

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by 9horn, Dec 22, 2010.

1. 9horn

9horn Pianissimo User

Feb 25, 2009
    New York
  2. turtlejimmy

turtlejimmy Utimate User

Jun 6, 2010
    Oregon
    Fantastic video!!! Thanks, 9Horn.

I saw the movie, it's good. Louis Malle, can't remember the title. Absolutely great .... he's watching the footage and playing to it. Improvisation at its finest, he's interpreting what he's seeing in a "film noir" manner. What a treat!:play:

Is that my imagination or is there SMOKE coming off his trumpet??? Is that a lit cigarette stuck to his trumpet or is he just on fire?

The Turtle

btw, I don't speak French but that's Louis Malle being interviewed. What a tasteful decision on the filmmaker's part to bring Miles in.

Last edited: Dec 22, 2010
  3. Phil986

Phil986 Forte User

Nov 16, 2009
    Near Portland, OR.
    It's about the famous film noir "Ascenseur pour l'Echafaud" (1957). The filmmaker is Louis Malle (25 years old at the time), who got his big break as co-director and cameraman of Jacques Cousteau's documentary "The Silent World."

First the reporter asks about the music dubbing. Louis Malle confirms that Miles is improvising as the picures unfold in front of him, based on his knowledge of the story and previous viewing of the movie. It is explained that there is no score and that the music changes from on session to another.

Then they go on talking about the filmmaker himself, who worked for 3 years with Cousteau. He and Cousteau came together to the realization that the material accumulated was worth a full length documentary movie (the intent was initially for a short one). More questions then about movie making, carreer intentions etc. Louis Malle concludes by stating his disdain for superproductions, whose commercial constraints are, in his view, "paralyzing" for the artistic side of the production.

That music is beautiful indeed. It was a big selling point for the movie when released. It is said that Miles had a great time in Paris for the occasion, including meeting singer Juliette Greco.

Over 50 years and not a wrinkle. Whether it's Bach or Miles, great stuff isn't touched by time.

4. trumpetup

trumpetup Piano User

Jan 12, 2009
    Godley, Texas
    Wow! I don't know if that is a common way of laying down a sound tract. But that is so cool to have a musician play what he feels while he is watching the film. That would be a good training aid to help you get out of a rut while improvising.
    Thanks for the video
    -Bobby

5. turtlejimmy

turtlejimmy Utimate User

Jun 6, 2010
    Oregon
    It's the best. I've given up trying to play along and improvise with my jazz recordings, they're too hard (I've played less than a year). But movie soundtracks are great to play along with. Often they don't change keys for long periods of time.

I just saw a movie with an interesting soundtrack that may have been done in a similar manner ... It was "The Getaway" with Steve McQueen. The soundtrack was by Quincy Jones and featured Toots Theilman on harmonica solos throughout. Wow, can that guy play the harmonica!

Turtle

6. 9horn

9horn Pianissimo User

Feb 25, 2009
    New York
    Thanks Phil986 for that interpretation, I read somewhere quite a long time ago about this session and it unfolded in the video just as a dream pulled from my mind. I had always pictured it that way. The movie is available on netflix and the best part is the Miles music. Tied for second is the cinimatography and of course Jeanne Moreau (what a knockout!).:

7. SteveRADavey

SteveRADavey Pianissimo User

May 25, 2010
    Austin, TX
    I picked up this soundtrack the other day. It's a sweet little indulgence. It doesn't stand up to his studio recordings from the same period, but hey, it's not supposed to. It's just some sexy, smoky, "what's a girl like you doin' in a joint like this" horn. Aint nothin' wrong with that.:cool: