Preparing for a recital

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Tarter_trpt8, Jan 24, 2007.

1. Tarter_trpt8

Tarter_trpt8 Pianissimo User

Jan 17, 2005
    St. Paul, MN
    Manny,

If you were going to perform a recital, what "routines" or methods of practicing would you use to go about doing it?

It's a pretty short question, but that sums it up...any ideas for me?

Jeremy

2. Manny Laureano

Manny Laureano Utimate User

Sep 29, 2004
    USA
    Jeremy,

To be brief,

a good warm up everyday (by "good" I mean quality not quantity... when I'm finished, I have all the tools to practice efficiently)

Practice basic techniques (artciculation, multiple tonguing, low register clarity)

Methodic practice of any and all technical licks in the music to be played

Clear development of phrasing (peaks, climaxes, dynamics) for each piece

I think that's about it.

ML

3. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    If I may add one thing learned in a most bitter way as a student, as you get closer to the performance, concentrate more on the basics and less on the pieces you'll be playing.

4. Manny Laureano

Manny Laureano Utimate User

Sep 29, 2004
    USA
    I think Jerry has a very good point.

The more we focus on the pieces AFTER ALREADY HAVING DONE THE WORK TO PREPARE the more we tend to focus on small moments. Those moments become larger and larger until they take over the piece. The piece becomes smaller and smaller. Just like "Also Sprach Zarathustra".

With good practice of the basic techniques of playing you'll tend to keep things in perspective. I generally run the program through every day for about a week before the recital after all the real practice is done. I'll still make room for practice of the basics.

ML

Last edited: Jan 25, 2007
  5. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    I would add that you should "READ" the accompaniment parts as well. You never have enough practice time with the accompanist and the better that you know their part, the more secure you are on your entrances. Learn to study the music without your horn. Look for things that are interesting. While playing, you do not always have time to look for these things!
    I always use a metronome when working out a new program or refreshing old pieces. Once I have learned it, I turn it off - without forgetting the pulse - like your heartbeat - it keeps the piece "alive"!