preparing for university- I could really use you're help & advice!!

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by jazztrpt006, Oct 10, 2008.

1. jazztrpt006

jazztrpt006 New Friend

Jul 16, 2008
    Wpg, Mb
    Hey Everyone!

I am preparing to go to university in the fall as a trumpet player, to earn my B.Mus. Ed. And I could really use any tips, advice, help of any sorts on how to get me “ready†for the fall.. I could really use help on a great practice routine that covers all the essentials., ect…as well as things I should know whether it be should I know all my scales, theory, aural skills, history …that’s just a few examples, … I’m not too sure anything will help me!!
    As I can assure many of you have been in my situation before at some point of you’re life. I’ll admit I’m definitely nervous, but eager in many ways to get started.

I really do appreciate any help that can be given.

2. deebee

deebee New Friend

May 11, 2008
    Sydney, Australia
    If it's at all possible, do a trial audition-cum-interview with someone from the academic scene, even (or particularly) someone who's not jazz- or trumpet-oriented.

Also, it's worth having someone proofread any written submissions you might be sending anywhere. Spell-check only goes so far! :-(

3. deebee

deebee New Friend

May 11, 2008
    Sydney, Australia
    Forgot to mention ... good luck!

4. Mason

Mason Pianissimo User

Oct 7, 2008
    Australia
    hey i was wondering what happens if you go to uni to do music and become a trumpet player, well what happens if you dont succeed to be a trumpet player? What can you do then with your degree?

5. Sofus

Sofus Forte User

Jul 26, 2008
    If your university is close enough by, then try got a lesson or two from a teacher working there. He or she will then be able to give you the direction. Many other teachers can, of course, too, but it´s always goo to have "one foot inside".

GREAT that you´re taking this step!
    You´ll NEVER regret it!!

6. MLanghardt

MLanghardt New Friend

Apr 7, 2007
    Las Vegas, NV
    He's going for a degree in music education. He can teach high school, middle school, private lessons. There's countless oppurtunities in the music education field.

7. jazztrpt006

jazztrpt006 New Friend

Jul 16, 2008
    Wpg, Mb
    So getting into the technical playing what should I have prepared/down packed before attending in the fall?

8. Ed Kennedy

Ed Kennedy Forte User

Nov 18, 2006

9. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Mason,
    that is a great question. In Germany there are a lot of trumpet majors running around. They teach at private music schools, try and make a living gigging and some go back to college and learn something else. I got my degree in trumpet - and ended up making a living as an IT consultant with enough time to freelance and teach!

10. B15M

B15M Forte User

Dec 30, 2003
    Monroe Ct.
    Here is my 2 cents:

When you get there, there are going to be other students that are older and better than you. They will sometimes give advice that contradicts your teachers. Here is my advice, listen to the teacher.