preparing for university- I could really use you're help & advice!!

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by jazztrpt006, Oct 10, 2008.

1. Bob Grier

Bob Grier Forte User

May 4, 2007
    Greensboro, NC
    All of the subjects you mentioned theory, scales, history, etc. will be covered in your music courses. If you are talking about the fall of 09, find a good teacher and practice before you go. Give your college teacher as much to work with as possible. It sounds like you've be accepted to the porgram. After you get there DO THE WORK. Pay attention to all your teachers and do your homework. Too many young people go to college and have no idea about how to work. We don't need bad teachers teaching music. We do need more good music teachers.

Bob Grier

2. Bob Grier

Bob Grier Forte User

May 4, 2007
    Greensboro, NC
    nother thought. Don't worry it is very rare that any 1st year music major will have any experience in theory, history, ear trainig, etc. I know I didn't when i went off to school and It wasn't a problem. Nobody else had either.

Bob G

3. amtrumpet

amtrumpet New Friend

Oct 1, 2008
    I have to disagree with the previous post. If you can get some theory experience before you go, it will make your life a heck of a lot easier. You may even be able to get out of a class or two. Same goes for piano. Even if you have still have to take the classes, you'll have a head start and won't have to work as hard, leaving you with more time to practice. As a music ed major, you will be very busy, so anything you can do now to help yourself out will go a long way. Also, practice your butt off.

Getting a lesson with the teacher at the school you are interested in is not only a good idea; in my opinion it is essential. The private teacher is the single most important part of your musical education. Make sure you get with someone you can work well with, or you are going to be very frustrated.

Feel free to get in touch with me if you have any questions. I am a music ed major currently, so I have an inside perspective on things.

Aaron