Pressure point on upper lip

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Pedal C, Aug 6, 2009.

1. Pedal C

Pedal C Mezzo Forte User

Jan 24, 2005
    For some reason, the mouthpiece seems to dig in a little in one spot on my chops, the left side (under the rim) of my upper lip. It looks normal enough when I play, but I don't have the same cushion in that part of the chops. The longer I keep the horn on my face, the worse it is. I don't have any crooked or protruding teeth, my mouthpiece is pretty much centered, and my bell points a little down.

I think it may be bacause my jaw slides a little to the right when I play. Tonight I was playing some long tones and moving my jaw to the center seemed to balance out the pressure pretty well. I moved it very slightly...probably barely visible. It was more of a feel thing that a postiion thing, if that makes any sense.

My question is, is that the right approach? To try to balance out the pressure while playing something simple and let it work it's way into the rest of my playing? I'd love to hear any thoughts about how to deal with this.

Thanks!

Jason.

2. Bachstul

Bachstul Mezzo Forte User

Jan 25, 2009
    Open and push your lower jaw forward to even with your upper teeth, even like a brick wall. There, your bell will not point a little down, as you say.

A hinderance, such as a music stand "in your way" creates poor playing posture.
    A jazz/ freelance practice, standing up, with no music stand, and no dots on paper, is most refreshing for a new approach. Here, you will listen,.... without reading.

3. Bachstul

Bachstul Mezzo Forte User

Jan 25, 2009

...... pressure .......... hmmmmmmm. Open and push forward lower jaw even like Bachstul said. Y'know, he's one of the smartest here on TM.

I don't care what everybody else says.

Bachstul Rocks!!!!

4. HSOtrumpet1

HSOtrumpet1 Pianissimo User

Nov 28, 2008
    Michigan
    Hmmm. I'm no expert, but I would very much advise against an embrochure change right now unless you have no performances or concerts for at LEAST 6 months. Don't take this advice lightly! One of the best players I knew went to a camp and they made him change his embrochure because they just didn't like the look of it, and now, more than a year later, he doesn't have the endurance he once had. If you absolutely feel that it is hurting you so much that you have to change embrochure, I would try for a very gradual change, not an all out, "I was doing it this way, but now I'm changing it and never looking back again" kind of thing. Maybe try GRADUALLY moving your jaw position? Anyways, hope I helped.