Pressure?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by trumpet520, Nov 8, 2006.

1. trumpet520

trumpet520 Pianissimo User

Oct 25, 2006
    Oklahoma
    I know pressure is bad and our directors mention it every once in a while during reahearsal. But i dont understand why we try to avoid it.And why its bad

2. adohanian

adohanian Pianissimo User

Feb 27, 2005
    boston
    It's really excessive pressure that your teacher is telling you to avoid. You need some pressure to keep the horn on your face, but excessive pressure can harm your sound and flexibility, and you can actually bruise your lips in extreme cases. The best way to avoid excessive pressure is to play with a clear sound and use lots of air. hope this helps.

adam

3. Hardnut

Hardnut Pianissimo User

Feb 24, 2006
    South England
    In a battle between your arms and your lips, your arms will always win and it is a natural response to push on the lips harder for high notes.

The problem with this is that by using too much pressure, we actually cut off the blood supply to part of our lips, meaning that they get more tired far more quickly.

Hence, it is advisable to avoid pressure, in order that we can play with our lip at its best for hte longest period of time possible.

Hope this helps,

Chris.

4. Manny Laureano

Manny Laureano Utimate User

Sep 29, 2004
    USA
    Your lips have to vibrate, right?

How well can they vibrate if there's too much pressure on them?

Wouldn't that inhibit their ability to do so?

How well could you swing a baseball bat if someone where holding on to your arms or if you locked your elbows?

There's pressure and there's undue pressure. Think in terms of extremes. How well would sound if you tried to play with no pressure at all? Then ask the opposite. The answer is in the middle, somewhere.

ML

5. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Pressure is bad because:
    1) it pushes the blood out of your lips - no blood=no oxygen=tissue damage
    2) can loosen your front teeth
    3) takes a lot longer to get good
    4) give you a hickey (bruise) on your lip that hurts and is uncool

6. Dave Converse

Dave Converse Piano User

Nov 9, 2003
    Nashville, Tn.
    The reason we use pressure is that it WORKS. Now, all the bad things that come with it are listed in the good answers you got above. But, we need to know why it works, and ultimately what we can do to accomplish the same thing in a less harmful way.

Mouthpiece pressure helps keep the aperature small when the lip muscles aren't strong enough for the task. Too open a setting, or a less than efficient lip position will add to the need for pressure to compensate. Regular practice at ppp levels with lots of breath attacks can help find these smaller and more efficient aperature settings, and will help reduce the need for mpc pressure if not done to extreme.

7. Bugler

Bugler Banned

Manny is right on this one.

8. Solar Bell

Solar Bell Moderator Staff Member

May 11, 2005
    Metro Detroit
    Manny is right on on THIS one? :dontknow:

Oh boy, wait 'till he hears THAT!

-cw-

9. dow30

dow30 Piano User

Apr 26, 2005
    NY
    I have sat and watched Clark Terry buzz songs on his lips, obviously no pressure involved. I'm told, I takes no more pressure to play higher. The lips create the sound, that hunk of metal with valves just makes it a little easier.

10. Bugler

Bugler Banned

What's that supposed to mean? :dontknow: