Pressure!

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by reedy, Mar 20, 2014.

1. ShaneChalke

ShaneChalke Pianissimo User

Dec 11, 2008
    Banner Elk, NC
  2. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    This is exactly my point. If you have to think about it, it is in the way. There is NO TIME when making music to think about the mechanics of playing! I teach habits that start with a solid foundation - breathing and body use. Then we replace exhale with play. If a player gets to this point, they already are relaxed without intellectualizing the process. Once we play by exhaling satisfactorily, we add articulation.

I firmly believe that any other approach is a patch doomed to fail. The foundation of all decent playing is the prepared body and proper breathing. You can't patch the foundation while making music. You have to STOP, BACK UP, and CLEAN UP any mess before moving on. No method, Clarke, Arban or otherwise stops you from advancing before you are ready. Google my Circle of Breath for a detailed recommendation. It is free, safe and not esoteric.

3. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    There are a whole bunch of parameters that I'm not comfortable with.
    • The 4M is pretty big for a commercial setting
    • The TT may not be the ideal trumpet for a commercial setting
    • Your sound concept may not be ideal for the setting
    • The voicings in the horn parts may be leaving you "high and dry"
    I would suggest recording a couple of sets from the back of the hall--does what you hear on the tape the same as what you hear when playing? We can mess ourselves up by concentrating too much on what we hear on our side of the bell, and I'm not convinced that the combination of the TT and 4M is any sort of an efficient set up.

It could be that intonation amongst the horns is causing you to lip notes around, or that the voicing doesn't give you anything to ride on top of. I'm not convinced that the Cat Anderson 20 minute long tone is doing you any good. Try working up the Top Tones for the Trumpeter by Walter M. Smith. 30 etudes and some good range building exercises.

Lots of stuff to look at.

Good luck!

4. Rapier

Rapier Forte User

Jul 18, 2011
    UK
    As I said early on. Try the Warburton 5s or 5 esv

5. Dr.Mark

Dr.Mark Mezzo Forte User

Apr 5, 2011
    Hi Shane,
    I've got one and it's called a Trumpet Mouthpiece Adapter. Made in Germany and 149.00USD from Osmun Music. Worth every penny.
    Dr.Mark

6. Dr.Mark

Dr.Mark Mezzo Forte User

Apr 5, 2011
    Hi Rowuk,
    You stated about "thinking when playing":
    This is exactly my point. If you have to think about it, it is in the way. There is NO TIME when making music to think about the mechanics of playing! I teach habits that start with a solid foundation - breathing and body use. Then we replace exhale with play. If a player gets to this point, they already are relaxed without intellectualizing the process. Once we play by exhaling satisfactorily, we add articulation.
    ----
    Here's a situation I think where we just don't know the level of expertise. In the beginning a person must think about the mechanics in order to form a sound foundation. This is natural part of the learning process. Remember back when you first was learning how to drive? Remember how you tried to monitor every aspect? Remember how small the road seemed!?! That's how we learn. Once we go through elaborate rehearsal, then we can quit thinking about it. You could say, the learning how to do phase is over. I agree that if a person is at a certain level, thinking about the basics can get in the way. But here's an individual who has probably never used his lip muscles correctly and depended on pressure to get the job done. It's a tough call but it just depends. I gotta go with "they never really knew the correct way in the first place." And to the poster, this is not being disrespectful at all. I've met manner of all ages that used excessive pressure to get the job done. Freddie Hubbard is one of the most famous people to use too much pressure. He met the result of excessive pressure during a cutting contest of sorts with Jon Faddis. Freddie's lip busted and then got infected. Ouch!!
    Dr.Mark

7. ShaneChalke

ShaneChalke Pianissimo User

Dec 11, 2008
    Banner Elk, NC
    Yes, that's the one! It trains you to play with minimal pressure without you having to think about it!

8. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
  9. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
  10. reedy

reedy Piano User

Jul 31, 2009
    Wiltshire, UK
    I find the 4m a really nice cup depth and with the QM backbore I get a really bright sound, im using the heavy bottom caps on my TT, think its making me work harder?

Ive also got a shilkie 14a4a, but find it backs up on me more and I overblow that way too much...

thanks for the advice!

I might practice with the light bottom caps on, and the 14a4a and the 4m side by side and see how I feel come a gig on saturday