Pressureless playing - Jason Harrelson...

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by barliman2001, Jan 4, 2015.

1. barliman2001

barliman2001 Fortissimo User

Jul 5, 2010
    Vienna, Austria, Europe
  2. Comeback

Comeback Forte User

Jun 22, 2011
    Fort Wayne, IN
    Interesting, barliman...but I don't see me trying it with any of my horns!:shock:

Seriously, though, have you found that pressure simply decreases as you persist in quality practice? I believe this is what I have experienced since beginning my comeback (certainly, not all of my practice has been of high quality!). My sound and other aspects of my playing suffers with too much pressure so I am never without motivation to work at keeping it to an appropriate level.

Jim

3. Dean_0

Dean_0 Piano User

Jan 21, 2013
    NE
    Strange:

Iv'e seen these types of things ,playing with no pressure etc. Kinda fun if you can do it ? but I notice on Jason's vid his sound gets all squeaky as he goes higher ,now we have all seen Maynard play ? and to say he uses slight pressure would be un-true ,the rim of the mouthpiece nearly disappearing in his lip,and we know how high he could play ? and for long periods.

Aurturo has a great high note and seems to use less pressure .

So I think (for me at least) the goal is not 0 Pressure but just enough to do a musical note ,where ever it may be? Always mindfull that more pressure than is needed will in short time make me crash miserably .

Happy New Year All :-)

Dean_0

4. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    Well, I've seen plenty of these "no pressure" demos over the years. Conclusion is, it takes a certain amount of pressure to play the upper register. didn't hear a decent note over high C and that's Jason Harrelson!!! Interesting exercise to try with my Ambassador though.

5. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    What does it prove? Nothing. Pressure works and to replace it, we need more than 3 fingers. If our breathing, body use and embouchure are not adequately developed, just messing around with the pressure parameter increases frustration not playing quality. Everything is connected to everything!

To me the video is useless because Harrelson shows no "advantage" to practicing this way, doesn't talk about the other necessities or comprimises involved. In my opinion, he should have spent the time finishing Garys horn to remove pressure from his delivery schedule.

6. lipnutz

lipnutz Pianissimo User

Dec 17, 2013
    Much safer for the horn would be to hold the horn by a finger pad or two or tie a strong string or twine around a finger pad, dangle the horn by the string, and then blow.

7. Churchman

Churchman Mezzo Piano User

Apr 26, 2012
    My first teacher used to say that all players should be able to do this. But I'm with Rowuk on this, and not just because of the uk...