Pretty cool leadpipe cleaner

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Eeviac, Feb 15, 2008.

1. Eeviac

Eeviac Piano User

OK I noticed my leadpipe's kinda gucky so....

I cut a piece off of the "Zorbee" washing cloth in the kitchen, maybe 3/4 inch wide by 10 inches, lol wonder when it will be missed?

Then took some nice fishing line I have around here, 80lb test lol, the woven kind not monofiliment.....

And tied a piece on each side of the doubled-over piece of "Zorbee", just 1/2 inch from the ends.

Then went out in the shop and found a couple of small nuts, small enough to go into the leadpipe w/o getting stuck. Tied one on each end of the string.

OK so now took that tuning slide off of the trumpet, so I can put this through the leadpipe, and ran it back and forth a couple of times, with the cloth damp, good scrub all up and down, then take out, wash, rinse, do it again....

Now my leadpipe's a lot less gucky!

Chamois might work, or that synthetic chamois material too.

Pretty cool and not hard to make. :D

2. Brekelefuw

Brekelefuw Fortissimo User

Mar 21, 2006
    Toronto
    You might want to coat the nuts in something to reduce the chance of it scarring the inside of the leadpipe. You could also file it into a round shape.

3. Eeviac

Eeviac Piano User

They're not very big at all, so no danger of 'scarring', they're just to get the end of the string on through there, and for holders while rubbing back and forth.

4. Dave Mickley

Dave Mickley Forte User

Nov 11, 2005
    Indianapolis
    I have been making my lead pipe swab for years. basically it is a small piece of flannel [old shirt] with a legth of fishing line with a lead shot [fishing weight] on the end of the line. cheap and throw away when it gets gunky [a technical term for trumpet players]. Dave

5. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    I have used chamois for years!

6. Jude

Jude Piano User

Dec 2, 2007
    What's wrong with the snake you need for the rest of the horn?

7. Eeviac

Eeviac Piano User

Snake? I need?

Um,

I don't have one of those!

8. misty.sj

misty.sj Forte User

Jan 27, 2008
    Brisbane, Australia
    Some people say that the metal cable of the snake can scratch the inside of the horn. Plus, a cloth will provide a more uniform surface and less chance of missing anything. I think that's the principle behind the "spitballs" too.

9. Eeviac

Eeviac Piano User

I might be able to make a snake from stuff around here.....

10. westhorn

westhorn New Friend

Oct 25, 2007
    Falmouth, Cornwall, UK
    I had been thinking along these lines for cleaning the lead pipes tho not got round to it. I was thinking back to cleaning (british) rifles in the cadet corps in the 60's. Yeah it was before I started protesting.

Anyway to clean these 303 Enfield rifles which were probably WW1 vintage we were issued with some thin line and pieces of 'four by two' lint cloth to pass through the barrel. It seemed to get the gunk out ok.

If you are using fishing line to haul the cloth through, then might as well use fishing shot as lead is soft and wont scratch.