Pretty cool leadpipe cleaner

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Eeviac, Feb 15, 2008.

1. Eeviac

Eeviac Piano User

Oh yeah those for a gun are called a pull-through. They can work very well. As always watch out for the crown of the bore, don't mess that up.

2. Jude

Jude Piano User

Dec 2, 2007
    Doesn't seem to scratch the outside - I just checked.

3. Eeviac

Eeviac Piano User

Sooooooomeone was asleep in topology class....

4. Jude

Jude Piano User

Dec 2, 2007
    Same material, inside and out, no? (On a raw brass horn.) The outside is easier to check, and to get higher pressures on - the only way I could get any kind of a scratch was to force the cable against it "slidingly" (as patents put it) with considerable force.

5. Eeviac

Eeviac Piano User

Ohhhh.... I see.

6. flugelgirl

flugelgirl Forte User

Jan 20, 2008
    Seattle, WA
    Lots of snakes come with a coating around the spring - the Reika doesn't have a spring at all. I love that kit - it has these orange sponge balls on the end - there's one perfectly sized for valve ports.

7. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Nothing is wrong with a snake. It is only suitable for use when you wash the horn though. I run the chamois through after every playing session to get the gunk out BEFORE it starts to ferment...........

8. Jude

Jude Piano User

Dec 2, 2007
    Aha! (I've just been running water through it.)

9. commakozzi

commakozzi Pianissimo User

Oct 30, 2007
    Georgia, USA
    Here's an interesting idea I just had when reading this thread: there's a company that makes something called the Bore Snake that I use to clean my 9mm pistol. It works great for the gun, and an altered version of it would be really cool for what your talking about too, but I'm not sure how you'd do it. Check it out here. You can get one for all different calibers, and you'd probably have to experiment to find the right size for a trumpet. I would guess that the 9mm is really close. The only problem with the Bore Snake is that it has a round wired brush in the middle of it. Not sure if you want to run that through your lead pipe. Anyway, just a thought and I'm curious to see if anyone would use it if they can find a way to get that brush out of it.

10. Eeviac

Eeviac Piano User

9mm = .380 inch.