Previous equipment

Discussion in 'Horns' started by trumpetpimp, May 29, 2004.

1. trumpetpimp

trumpetpimp Piano User

Dec 6, 2003
    Toronto
    I'm curious what current eclipse players played before making the switch. Also, I suspect many players would downsize on the cup size or use a tighter backbore on eclipse trumpets than on traditional horns. Thoughts?

2. JackD

JackD Mezzo Forte User

Nov 30, 2003
    Manchester / London
  3. Still Trying

Still Trying Pianissimo User

Nov 23, 2003
    Lake Jackson, TX USA
    I have been playing a Kanstul built French Besson Classic with Najoom lead pipe. Before that I played an Olds Recording and a 1967 vintage Bach Strad almost exclusively.

It's too early for me to determine, if a slight mouthpiece adjustment will be necessary. I will say that, if I was concerned about anything, I was concerned that the Eclipse would be a little too free blowing for my style of playing. After playing the horn for only a few hours so far, I would have to say I am delighted that my fears were for nothing. I still may make a slight mp adjustment to achieve a little more efficiency in the player/horn/mp set up, but not because the horn is too free blowing. The resistance seems just about as perfect as you can get it. I haven't, however, gotten to play it with a group. I had to settle for some accompaniment CDs. It's hard to equate the way a horn blows in your bed room compared to playing a performance with a group.

Without exaggerating, the sound completely blows away the Besson. Part of it is the tone of the red brass bell of the Eclipse compared to the yellow brass bell of the Besson. The tone on the Eclipse sounds huge compared to the Besson. And it is absolutely beautiful to my ear. And the Besson is a very nice horn. The Eclipse responds SO much better from top to bottom.

But a lot of it is hard for me to explain. It must have to do with the over all design of the horn. The sound is darker, but more than that it's a "fuller" sound. It's always hard to describe a sound with words. But my wife is no particular fan of trumpets-period. To her ear they always sound kind of shrill. I guess you could describe her as being closer to a French horn kind of listener. But she said the tone of the medium red is so mellow she could listen to it all night. She really likes it. But at the same time you could easily play lead in a big band on the med red, and be right at home. So it's not so dark as to be limited in application. I really don't know how to describe it. Just saying it has a "dark" sound, or a "mellow" sound is at best a partial description.

I don't have a great high range. But high E above high C on the Eclipse sounds like my high C on the Besson. And that's a pretty strong note for me.

I didn't try to take anything higher than a high F, because I hadn't warmed up like I wanted, and because I didn't want to waste my lip too soon. But when the high notes come out, they come out big and pretty, not little and pinched sounding. Also you can really get a feel for how the horn slots from about A above the staff on up, and compared to what I have been playing, the horn's slotting is just fantastic. I know I'm rambling. But another thing. For years I've played A above the staff with my third finger instead of 1&2, because it was always easier for me to play the note in tune that way. Not on the Eclipse. The 1&2 combination is dead on on that note.

After I've had a chance to really see what I can do with the Eclipse, I'll write some more about it. It's going to take a few days to adjust to the way it feels, responds, etc. Unfortunately, I thought as soon as I got the horn, I would immediately be able to play like Noel Langley. Big disappointment there. The horn must not be Noel's only secret weapon. I'm afraid I still need to practice a bit more. The good news is that I've got the world's "funnest" trumpet to practice on.

4. Tootsall

Tootsall Fortissimo User

Oct 25, 2003
    Yee HAW!
    I played a Schilke B1 with a GR 66*** prior to getting the Eclipse. Previous to that it was the B1 with a Warburton 4MC/B9 (I seem to gravitate to deeper cups and more open backbores).

At the moment I'm trialing a GR 66** on the Eclipse to decide if that's the mouthpiece I want to have "dedicated" to the B1 (it is much brighter, as is the B1 and if I'm going to have two trumpets I want a "significant" contrast in their sound). (I need to send the *** away for gold plating to match the horn now that I've decided that's going to be the main piece.)

I honestly feel that the Eclipse blows much like the B1 "to me". It is different, but there is nowhere near the difference in blow that I experienced when I went from a 180ML37 to the B1. The biggest differences between the B1 and the MR is in terms of the "feel" (MR is quite a bit heavier), and sound (I think it's more flexible from "dark to bright"). The tuning in both is, of course, particularly good although the MR does have an edge.

As you note, my cornet is a large bore Getzen Eterna 800 and it too has quite an "open" blow to it. Of course, my playing range doesn't go above high C so if you've "got chops" you'll definitely be in new territory.

5. FreshBrewed

FreshBrewed Mezzo Piano User

Nov 11, 2003
    Houston, TX
    Prior to owning an Eclipse, I played on a Calicchio R37, Bach 43 and a Kanstul. The mouthpiece I play on now is a 66**** from Bruce. Before that I played on a Bach 3 with the other trumpets. My entire set up changed over the last year, starting with the Eclipse purchase.