Price Or Brand?

Discussion in 'Horns' started by [email protected], Feb 17, 2009.

What is more important in buying a horn that you can't play before you buy?

1. Price

6.7%
  2. Brand

40.0%
  3. Other

53.3%
  1. GoodMusic@PA

[email protected] Piano User

Aug 7, 2008
    When buying a trumpet without being able to play it, which is more important to you, price or brand? Just Wondering, sorry if this is dumb.:dontknow:

2. Solar Bell

Solar Bell Moderator Staff Member

May 11, 2005
    Metro Detroit
    Neither.....

How does it sound....perform....for YOU!

That is what matters most.

Re-read the question....do not buy a horn before you play it.

3. bagmangood

bagmangood Forte User

I didn't play my Bb before I bought it
    and I got real lucky. But its still not quite what I want. Grr.
    Must ... try ... new ... horns

4. GuitarPlayer05

GuitarPlayer05 New Friend

Apr 17, 2008
    Lincoln, NE
    I've been lucky and bought two horns blind, and I was not disappointed with either at first. My next horn will not be bought this way...

5. ewetho

ewetho Piano User

Jun 24, 2007
    Kankakee, IL
    Research on playing styles, numerous comparisons from veteran players and how they compare to models you know. Recording of the horn especially if you can compare to another horn. Basically as much info as you can get.

I at this point right now and went to play the horn I think I want and was not available to play. So they are getting a couple examples but tempted to just get one blind.

Still holding out though. It is hard though.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 18, 2009
  6. Bachstul

Bachstul Mezzo Forte User

Jan 25, 2009
    Cool question. Make sure you have a week to over a month to decide if you like it; then, figure their return policy. You'll probably have to pay to ship it back insured. Watch out for those re-stocking fees and the bologna sanitation fee. total it all up and figure what your time is worth to travel to test one out. There is a good chance you might get one that some fussy person returned because he looked at it under a microscope and didn't like that solder joint....etc. They are built by hand, right?

Myself, it's worth it to wait for the delivery. I waited for a trumpet today. They overnight aired it. It's always my euphonium buddy in brown, or my trombone buddy (in Brown), last month, with my new flugelhorn, delivering. And they both waited till late in the day to deliver, just to drive me nuts.... my trumpet buddy works for the U.S. postal service, so, if you do order a trumpet, request it shipped U.S. Mail!!!! He'll get it to ya fast a.m.!! This town I live in ain't so small, but this is a true story.

Oh, to answer your question... price comes with the brand, and brand is worth the price. After I played my new horn this evening, my wife said she hasn't seen me smile like that since my first son was born.

Last edited: Feb 18, 2009
  7. DubbaCTrumpetMSU

DubbaCTrumpetMSU Mezzo Piano User

Dec 29, 2006
    Ft. Worth, TX
    Interesting thoughts, buying the horn blind...I'll admit, I just did it...yikes :) My new horn will be delivered in somewhere between now and 6 hours from now...I'm quite anxious. :) Come to think of it, I've done it with the last...counting this one...4 horns.