Priorities

Discussion in 'Trumpet Pedagogy' started by Sethoflagos, Aug 9, 2018 at 10:17 PM.

1. Sethoflagos

Sethoflagos Utimate User

Aug 7, 2013
    Lagos, Nigeria
    It has been said that to become 'the consummate trumpet player', one must have mastery of all of it.

But it doesn't come all at once. I've forgotten how I got from C-D-E in my first lesson to the trumpet voluntaries a few years later. But 50 years on my comeback has given me chance to reflect on the order in which my skills started to come back, and, in particular, what needed to be reasonably well developed before I made any significant progress in other areas. It would have been useful to have this list to hand five years ago:

1) A trained musical ear - defines all objectives.
    2) Stress management - misplaced or misdirected tension kills everything.
    3) Controlled air support - without it there are no notes worth speaking of.
    4) Good basic sound - at least one note worth speaking of.
    5) Structured Intervals Training - migrates the good stuff into new areas.
    6) Multiple tonguing - without fast, clean articulation there's nothing to set the pace for other skills.
    7) Timing - if you can't play the rests, you can't play the notes.
    8) Dexterity - now we can start getting the right notes in the right place.
    9) Style - if you can't first play 'as written', it ain't style, it's just incompetence.

I've omitted some nebulous skills like 'aptitude' and 'dedication' as I'm not sure these can be effectively taught, (though they are vital). And various 'ensemble skills' as they vary with personal situation.

Anyone surprised I've not stuck 'Music Theory' in there? - the examining boards do. As they do 'Sight Reading' and 'Scales and Arpeggios' (added as a major component of 'Intervals Training').

What else have I missed?

Edits in Red.

Last edited: Aug 10, 2018 at 11:09 AM
    gwood66, GeorgeB and J. Jericho like this.
  2. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    I see nothing missing, but I separate stress management (outside influences) and tension (inside influences).

3. GeorgeB

GeorgeB Mezzo Forte User

Apr 13, 2016
    New Glasgow, N.S. Canada
    All good stuff and worth having it pinned on the wall next to the mirror in the bathroom.

In respect to dedication, I am ashamed to admit that even though I enjoyed 12 years of playing in the 50s and 60s as a weekend warrior, I lacked the dedication that would have made me a much better player than I was. I was determined to not make that mistake the second time around. For me, dedication would be way near the top of my list.

Sethoflagos likes this.
  4. Sethoflagos

Sethoflagos Utimate User

Aug 7, 2013
    Lagos, Nigeria
    I did when I woke up this morning. It's been added to the list in red.

I can see how external and internal stresses may require different therapies for different people.But I suspect the negative effects are much the same. I can't say for sure because I seemed pretty immune to performance anxiety when I played publicly - which I now suspect as symptomatic a certain degree of autism on my part.

Last edited: Aug 10, 2018 at 11:30 AM
  5. mike ansberry

mike ansberry Forte User

Dec 30, 2003
    Clarksville, Tennessee, U
    Thanks Sethoflagos. I printed it and will add it to my posters of trumpet practice.

Sethoflagos likes this.