Private Lessons Recommendations

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by MiniBryan, Sep 6, 2013.

1. MiniBryan

MiniBryan Pianissimo User

Jun 6, 2011
    Texas
    Thank you, hope those students won't run up the rates :-)

2. Rapier

Rapier Forte User

Jul 18, 2011
    UK
    But you can get lessons with a top professional player, using technology, rather than settling for an average tutor who happens to live nearby.

3. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    My concern with Skype is first the sound quality. Good microphones are a must, but even then I'm not sure a teacher can hear those little grunts and noises students make while playing. I also like to walk around observing embouchure set up posture and such. I'm also not sure about the effectiveness of duets.

I'll admit that online lessons or stuff ordered from a website can provide a wealth of facts and concepts. Yamaha trumpet artist Greg Spence offers you trumpet books free video trumpet lessons how to play the trumpet demonstrations articles the world's first trumpet eBook for beginner trumpet players who are learning how to play the trumpet this online tr seems to be a pretty solid site and have found no fault with the bits and pieces I've looked at.

But hey, you are an easy drive away from a Major University, and a great chance to learn from a real live person!

4. dBeav

dBeav Pianissimo User

May 1, 2013
    Detroit Area
    I think the skype route can be very beneficial, depending on your circumstance. For me, starting back up after a 30 year break, I was able to get support, instruction and a clear direction to help get me on track. The sound quality can be an issue. So if you feel confident in the "basics" and are looking for more in depth instruction, in person may be the way to go. As far as contacting a university, the worst that will happen is they say no but more than likely you will get some information or contacts. Check them all out. Having an idea of what it is you are looking for as far as instruction, will also help to match you with the right person. Good luck!

5. MiniBryan

Jun 6, 2011
    Texas
    Thanks for the replies, I have emailed numerous trumpet teachers from around the Dallas area, hopefully, one of them is for me.

6. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    MiniBrian, you are to be commended for being proactive in your search for a teacher (including contacting TM)! While sending the emails is a great idea, I really like the idea of looking for a teacher from among the faculty or music students. Those working on an education degree would be delighted to get some teaching experience for their resume. $20 for a half-hour should be easily enough. The lessons they teach are based on the things they've learned from their trumpet teacher.

Get the trumpet teachers' office phone number from the Music Department. At 16 you are ideally suited to get connected with the Trumpet Program. See if you can attend some rehearsals and get yourself to be a familiar sight. Listen to other students practice. When it becomes time to go to college and you've worked hard, you might just be able to get a scholarship!

Keep up the good work, and have fun!

7. MiniBryan

Jun 6, 2011
    Texas
    Okay, I understand. Though a scholarship sounds really enticing, it seems to be way out of my league right now. :D

8. RustoleusMaximus

RustoleusMaximus Pianissimo User

Feb 1, 2008
  9. MiniBryan

Jun 6, 2011
    Texas
  10. xjb0906

xjb0906 Piano User

May 2, 2009
    Charlotte NC

Why not? I play in a college ensemble even though I have never attended one class there.