Private Lessons Recommendations

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by MiniBryan, Sep 6, 2013.

1. gzent

gzent Fortissimo User

Nov 5, 2003
    Rochester, MN
    Bryan: Remember that college is there to educate students, so the staff will always want to attract more students.
    They will want to get you interested in their program because you might be someone who they could be getting paid
    to teach in a couple years.

2. eviln3d

eviln3d Pianissimo User

Jun 5, 2013
    Being in college isn't a pre-requisite to private lesson. When I was in high school I start taking lessons from the head of the local college's music department... it was much better than the lesson I had taken before from a local band director. You can also find that in most colleges with a music program there is some system by which you can get in contact with people willing to give lessons.

3. MiniBryan

MiniBryan Pianissimo User

Jun 6, 2011
    Texas
    I very much appreciate the help and experience you guys offer here. Thanks!

4. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    IMO, $20.00 / half hour is quite a bit low-ball, and second my sessions are for one hour only where the student plays for 20 minutes, rests for twenty minutes while I discuss and/or demonstrate, and then the student plays for another 20 minutes. I'll concur that not many homes /apartments are compatible for lessons for a variety of reasons among them being the burden of my transporting the materials requisite, travel time, and fuel. On the other hand studio time has the overhead of rent and utilities. Lastly, just how much could you learn in a half hour a week and to this I'll respond, not very much at all, and at $20.00 per you'll not get what you need ... as quickly as you want it.

While I'll not dispute that experience may provide the necessities to teach/tutor, in some locales it does not provide the license/credentials to do so.

5. eviln3d

eviln3d Pianissimo User

Jun 5, 2013
    Thats one of the advantages to getting lesson from some at the local college. They can often use the practice rooms to give the lessons which allows them to keep the rates lower.