Private Lessons

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by guadarrama, Nov 15, 2011.

1. guadarrama

guadarrama New Friend

Jul 25, 2011
    CA
    I'm gonna start getting private lessons from a really good trumpet player. Her name is Cindy Shea, she has a Grammy award winning Mariachi band. (Yes she's white and runs a Mariachi band totally awesome) she studied under the great Arturo Sandoval. She is only charging me 30 dollars an hour. I have never paid for private lessons but I think this is a really low price. I'm definitely going take them for that price. Is this a cheap price or Is it just me?
    Thanks!

2. codyb226

codyb226 Banned

Mar 9, 2011
    Florida, US
    The trumpet lesson guy charges the same

I talk that back, he charges double that.........

Last edited: Nov 15, 2011
  3. BrotherBACH

BrotherBACH Piano User

Oct 5, 2010
    That is VERY cheap.

4. turtlejimmy

turtlejimmy Utimate User

Jun 6, 2010
    Oregon
    Sounds inexpensive to me. I like her resume ... I think you've had some good luck.

Turtle

5. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    Sounds awesome. Yeah, that's dirt cheap! Make sure you take full advantage and practice.

6. guadarrama

guadarrama New Friend

Jul 25, 2011
    CA
    Hell yes I'm gonna practice like I'm mad!

7. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    Yes, I concur that such is inexpensive. Go for it, enjoy and PRACTICE!

I don't like to ever use the word "cheap" unless it suggests inferior quality. As a foursome, the beginning students I am tutoring I charge $50/hour ... but that is only $12.50 each. There may be pros and cons to this, but the benefit I foresee is that it acquaints them with playing with others which most likely they will certainly encounter sooner or later. Seemingly, I am also noting a competitive spirit that enhances their participation. I wouldn't say it would be practical with a whole section, either financially or musically, but I'm sure with just 4, I can isolate and help any one that is having difficulty.

8. guadarrama

guadarrama New Friend

Jul 25, 2011
    CA
    Yes I think group lessons can be very beneficial, they can learn off each other, hear other instruments playing next to them and it kind of disciplines them to have patience with every one else and work together. I used to teach one group of 4 of elementary students, and two groups of 5 of high school and middle schoolers. Teaching made me learn a lot. I love it.

9. yourbrassinstructor

yourbrassinstructor Banned

Sep 30, 2008
    Dawg, where have you been?

$30 per hour is so cheap.... I have students I teach that charge more than that to teach their Junior High and Elementary students!

Can I get an Amen here?

Arturo charges $110 per hour or so I am told....I think he links up to his teaching from Flip Oakes' site.

In SF, one of the world's most expensive cities ( that doesn't get freezing cold nor boiling oppressive heat) where I live....uh....exist, we charge anywhere between $50 to $70 an hour per lesson.

Consider $30 an hour almost free........ especially if the Instructor is as credentialed as you say.....soak up everything
    she has to teach you.....

If you feel guilty, click on TRUMPETSIZZLE and I can charge you triple and still sleep very, very well at night!

10. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    The foursome I'm presently tutoring are 5th graders, as is when instrumental music is introduced in the public schools iin this area and we are using the same book 1, Standards of Excellence, except the boys tell me we are now 3 lessons ahead of where they are in school, and that alone appears to excite them. As they attend my sessions from 7 to 8 PM, too, such is mandating a very strong parental support for transport to and from, and I invite the parents to sit in. My demos are with a student quality trumpet about the same as what they have. In addition to the book, I've now put together three simple Christmas carols for them to learn.

When I was young and began, I was exposed heavily to music, Mom playing the piano, and two older brothers already playing brass instruments. Both my parents were then school teachers.

Our school instrumental music instructor was also the high school band director and my private tutor. It was a much different era, but I feel certain his curricula vitae was equal to any of the present: 1. A Doctoral in instrumental music, 2. Cornet with John Philip Sousa's 2nd band 1926-31, and then, 3. Cornet with Ringling Brothers Circus (before they bought into and merged with the Barnum & Bailey Circus).

The hardship for me then was to find my own instrument, which I did, a preowned stencil as cost $35.00, as so many were turned in for strategic metals during WWII, and there wasn't such a prolific availability of music as there is now. We scrounged and were forced to transpose a lot from piano music, hand writing our music on manuscript paper where we drew the staffs as well. Later we did the same on Hectograph masters for distribution and they were a mess that we dared not get wet.

Last edited: Nov 16, 2011